2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Conditional Header and Footer (Word 2003, SP1)

Well, another problem with my report template. The finished document will have different odd and even pages, with different corresponding headers and footers. Landscape pages also have different headers and footers. I have all of that automated, so that inserting a landscape page or starting a new chapter automatically inserts the correct section break and fixes all the numbering/header/footer issues. For the most part, our users don't need to manually edit anything, except occasionally to delete an extra section break and page when a new chapter starts immediately after a single-sided landscape page.

So, now one of the beta testers has come up with a problem. If a chapter ends on an odd page, Word, of course, inserts a blank even page before the new chapter. The user is concerned about this blank page, especially when we send PDF versions of the file to a client, where the missing page is no longer the blank backside of the last page in a chapter, but just a blank page.

So, I suggested that we change the "Start New Chapter" macro to add a conditional page break right before the section break, so if the last page of the preceding section is odd, an even page will be added. Also, I offered to add something like "This page intentionally left blank." They liked the idea of the page break, but not the text. However, they don't want the same header and footer on this page as in the rest of the chapter. They want just the page number.

Except for adding a new section when a chapter ends with an odd page, and then removing it again if the length of the chapter changes, which seems difficult to work into the code at this point, the only other thing I could think of was to have conditional header and footers that check to see if the page is blank and, if so, to print only the page number, except the method I had in mind, checking the contents of the bookmark "Page" doesn't work.

So, any ideas? Is it possible to insert a conditional section break that includes different headers and footers than the rest of the document? Or some other trick? Thanks!

--Karyl

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conditional Header and Footer (Word 2003, SP1)

From the lack of responses, it seems this one has us stumped. I would suggest to the users that they accept the header/footer on the last page of a chapter is either completely blank, or is the same as on previous pages, even if the page is blank.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't use that feature often. It seems that, yes, with "page break even/odd page", the page is always be completely empty

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's worth some experimentation. I was about ready to just give it up, which I really hate to do! This gives me an avenue to explore that I hadn't even considered. Many thanks! I'll let you know how it works.

--Karyl

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm giving it up! I got the conditional page break working correctly, and this conditional header thing almost working. But then, when I was playing with it to see how it would work in actual practice, I decided to bag it. Too confusing for the novice user, with pages appearing out of nowhere, and not disappearing when they should unless they hit "Update Fields" after adding text. And it seemed too hard for users to modify if necessary. If they added text in the wrong place, the conditional page break could show up in the wrong place. I think just having a blank page, as Word does by default, will just have to satisfy them. And maybe in some future version, Word will have the option to include page numbers on blank pages, or something. Many thanks!

--Karyl

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Now that you have given up, here attached is how I did it with a sample document. Problems arise when section breaks are used for reasons other than restarting page numbers (eg landscape pages) and will also be dependent on people updating fields when showing the page layout.

I used conditional headers and footers - IF fields to check if the page number matched the number of pages in the section.

A different IF field placed at the end of the last paragraph in a section adds the page break and a 'page would have been intentionally blank if not for this text' message.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the attachment. I have it filed away for future reference. I thought about using the section pages as a comparison, but we just have too many places where users will insert section breaks within chapters, so it doesn't always work. But it is nice to see that, in theory, the IDEA works.

The other problem I hit was that the style in the headers and footers contains border formatting (a vertical line up the side of the text) which doesn't go away when the text does, because the paragraph is still there. So I would need to control style as well. Which could also be done, but it was just getting to be more and more trouble for what the WP supervisor and I could see as something with very little value. The blank pages are SUPPOSED to be there, after all.

Again, many thanks for taking time to work on this for me. I really appreciate it.

--Karyl