Thanks

Seeing the network

OK, I got the wireless connection working between my laptop and desktop computer (both running WinXP PRO). I am using a Buffalo WBR2-G54S router.

1. But I can't I see the desktop computer or any devices connected to it from the laptop (even though I am using desktop computer's net connection without any problems). Why can't I see the desktop/ network? Is there something I need to define or enable to make it visible?

2. I want to use the printer connected to my desktop through a USB port to print to as an option on the laptop. I've been mucking around on this but haven't yet stumbled on how to make this work. I've turned on sharing for the printer in the properties and the printer has a share name and file and print sharing is enabled on both computers.

Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Seeing the network

Have you shared any drives or folders and the printer on the desktop?

What firewall and what are the settings for the network access in on the desktop?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

I don't understand what you are asking. From CP-Printers and faxes, I selected the printer I want to share and right clicked for properties where I enabled sharing.

I am not clear as to how or what I am supposed to do to enable sharing and viewing from one computer to another (the desktop and the laptop in this case).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had a similar problem when I first networked my PC's and the reason was because I have Zone Alarm installed and it was blocking the network, so you might want to check your firewall settings.

Cheers
    Dax

Thanks

Have you properly set up the router and run the XP Networking Wizard on both computers? Once you have done this, you should see valid connections. Then, as far as the printer, run a print job to the shared printer. If the second computer does not have the appropriate drivers, Windows will install them and you should be able to print. As well, do you have the "Guest" account enabled? This is required for peer to peer networking in XP.,
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

I have ZAP 5.5. How do I tell if ZAP is blocking?

Under the Firewall section on the desktop computer (which hosts the router), I have the trusted zone set to medium (Sharing mode: Computers can see your computer and share its resources. This setting is recommended for the Trusted Zone only.) The Buffalo Router is in the trusted zone of ZAP.

Thanks

The router is working, so I assume it is setup correctly. However, I do have the "GUEST" account disabled on both the host (desktop) and client (laptop). But I don't think this is a p2p network. Is it? And I can't run a print job to the printer from the laptop, since the laptop doesn't see the printer on the network and therefore I can't even define it to WIndows on the laptop to add a print driver.

Thanks

You are a "workgroup" - not a domain, so essentially you are a P2P network. If the Guest account is disabled, you will NOT be able to network. You can't run a print job because the laptop doesn't see the printer because you are not networked. Have a look at these KB articles . You say that the router is working correctly, and you are probably right. But if only the internet connection for both machines is working correctly, the networking component is not set up properly.
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> However, I do have the "GUEST" account disabled on both the host (desktop) and client (laptop). But I don't think this is a p2p network. Is it? <<

Because the printer is connected directly to the desktop, accessing it from another PC is indeed a peer-to-peer operation, requiring the Guest account on the desktop to be enabled (not necessary on the laptop). This applies even in a domain network: I just went through this at one of our field sites, while setting up access to a photo printer that was connected via USB to a PC.

Thanks

OK, I've had the guest account disabled for security reasons, which is a common recommendation. Are there any security implications or settings I should make when enabling it? And is this another of Windows design quirks? Seems stupid to me. Devices should be enabled and viewable only on the account you are using, not some intermediary account.

Thanks

There is quite a bit of information about the Guest account and its functions here
    John

Thanks

I'm still floundering around with this task, sigh.

I enabled the GUEST account on both computers (desktop & laptop). I read through a bunch of networking web docs and it looked like I had to define and setup a network on the desktop side. I did this and called it say HOMENet. HOMENet is now visible on the desktop computer under My Network Places-Entire Network-Microsoft Windows Network. I have chosen a particular disk drive on the desktop and enabled sharing on it.

SO now what do I have to do on the wireless connected laptop to be able to see this HOMENet network?

If I go do an "Add Network Place", it wants me to specify the address of "this network place". I click the BROWSE button and then Entire Network-Microsoft Windows Network but all that appears under it is my WORK network. How do I define the HOMENet network on the desktop to the laptop machine?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Bigaldoc to add URL code.[/i] See the Quick Guide or 1-Click TagPanel.

You may need to install something like this:

http://www.netswitcher.com/

It allows you to have separate "profiles" for your home and work networks, and pick the one you want to use.