Thread: Go Dog! Prequil

Thanks

Go Dog! Prequil

I was talking to Mrs Ruff about my Go Dog! puzzle and she said that it was too confusing (this from a person with multiple degrees but it is much more likely to be me). She said. and you will like this, "Just post an easier puzzle with one tree and be liked".

My aim is to post a good puzzle that takes some time to solve, her aim is for me to be well liked!

Anyway, here is a puzzle with only 1 tree.

There is one tree, a Birch ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]. A squirrel looks for nuts around B. While the squirrel is on the ground, it can be caught by a dog (D). The squirrel runs at 3m/s while the dog runs at 4m/s. Given that the dog is 20m from the tree, find the limit that the squirrel can move away from the tree and remain safe (ie not caught by the dog).
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Go Dog! Prequil

<span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #FFFF00; font-weight: bold">The dog takes 5 seconds to reach the tree. If the squirrel is on the opposite side of the tree it can be 5 seconds away from the tree, so at 3m/s the maximum distance it can be is 15m</span hide>

Thanks

That is the answer that I have too - except that I think that the squirrel can be anywhere in a <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #FFFF00; font-weight: bold">15m circle with the tree as the center.</span hide>
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As dogs can be quite stupid, if the squirrel was on the same side of the tree as the dog, the dog would not slow down. Instead it would run head first into the tree crushing the squirrel at the trees base. (Especially if it was this dog)