New Lounger
    Thanks

Limited Users & Windows Networking (XP Home)

Is it possible to use Windows Networking - i.e. Sharing files and printers, when the users are logged in as Limited Users.?

I'm setting up a small home office and everything is setup and working just fine - provided all the users are Administrators.
    But, I would like the users to run as Limited Users most of the time. This provides great security against Viruses / Spyware / User mistakes.
    But as soon as I set the users to be Limited, they cannot access anything across the network. I cannot see anywhere to set the permissions for network access / sharing.

I suppose I could do things the other way - i.e. have these user accounts be Administrators and then manually restrict their permissions to folders like Program Files, but I was hoping there was an easier way.

Many thanks,
    Adam.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Limited Users & Windows Networking (XP Home)

I can't give a definitive answer, as I only have XP Pro systems. I think that XP Home allows limited users to access network shares. Can you give us a bit more information about your setup, including

Is the share part of "Documents and Settings..." or is it somewhere else on the disk?
    What firewalls are running on each computer?
    Do you have limited user accounts with identical usernames and passwords on both computers?

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Limited Users & Windows Networking (XP Home)

I have just added a limited account to my XP Home system. It can access the network and printer, but can not startup the Epson scanner control panel. With this error, as it will NOT go away, I have the error pane open on the dektop ALL the time.

When I was testing XP, I tried using Limited accounts and ran into so much trouble it was NOT worth my time. A lot of programs had to be install by each limited user and could not be shared. There were times when the limited account could NOT get to the internet and/or email. I just spent to much time using the "Use AS" command to get and keep things going.

As for being MORE secure, if you are running a good fire wall, AV program, spam and ad blockers, I see no need in the Limited accounts.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.