Star Lounger
    Thanks

Enabling macros (Word 2003)

I just installed Office 2003.

Everytime I load Word (and shut it down), I get the following message popping up --

"The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help
    or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros."

Further checking found the following Help file suggestion --

"Automated safe mode
    During startup, Office checks for problems such as an add-in or extension that won't start, or a corrupted resource, file, registry, or template. A message is displayed the next time the program is started, identifying the problem and asking if you want to disable the part of the program that has a problem.

A list of disabled items is accessible through the Disabled Items dialog box (About Microsoft <program>, Help menu). You can use this dialog box to enable the listed items. Enabling some items may require you to reload or reinstall an add-in program or reopen a file. Enabling an item does not necessarily fix the root problem; an item that you enable may be placed back on the disabled list the next time you start the program."

=========================

Okay, fair enough. I thought this would lead to success, but the problem with it is -- there is no "About Microsoft..." line under the Help menu for me to click on to even attempt to resolve the problem!

Any idea where else to look for disabled macros and how to deal with this??? I can't imagine that one has to see this message every time I laugh and close Word...

Thanks very much.

Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Enabling macros (Word 2003)

Have you looked under Tools > Macro > Security?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

> > Have you looked under Tools > Macro > Security?

Yes. Many times, hoping I'd mis-read something.

Thanks, though.

Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Bob,

Do you have any other add-ins that are trying to run when Word launches? - if you look under Tools > Templates and Add-Ins, is there anything listed under Global Templates and Add-Ins?

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

Thanks very much for your note.

Yes, I have three items listed there. Anticipating your suggestion, should I remove all three? Two of them I could live without. The third is a an add-on Thesaurus/dictionary (WordWeb) which I use a great deal. Is it possible that removing them all and then reinstalling that one would clear up the problem?

Getting ahead of myself to save a step , let's assume the answer is "No." (Or, to be honest, even if the answer is "Yes.") I'm still stuck with that bizarrely non-existent "About Microsoft Word..." menu item under Help and no way to find the "disabled" macros in order to "enable" them.

But again, thanks a lot.

Bob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post> should help you to pinpoint the culprit.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much and -- again, and as always -- thanks so much for all the time and assistance. It's appreciated. I skimmed the article and will read it soon when it's not so late and I therefore have a better chance of understanding as much of it as possible...

But I can report that I did semi-solve the problem through irregular means, but pointed in the right direction by Gary. (So, thanks again there, too.)

For whatever reason, the Remove button in Tools and Add-ins was grayed out, but I went to Windows Explorer and manually deleted the two .DOT files I didn't care about, hoping that they were the culprits (and not the one for the thesaurus add-in, which I left alone).

They were indeed the problem. Word now loads fine without the error message. And the thesaurus add-in is still there.

Two "however's."

1) I still don't have "About Microsoft Word" listed in the Help menu, in case I ever have to access it in the future.

2) I can get the thesaurus add-in to launch by using key strokes, but if I click on the toolbar icon, I get an error message that all macros are blocked.

Both these two "however's are minor. Mainly I'm glad that the program is loading well. And I'll check out that response tomorrow. I'd say "thank you" again, but I fear I'd wear out those letters on my keyboard...

Bob