Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Retrieve part of a web page! (Excel 2000)

In Excel 2000, the user is allowed to retrieve part of a web page by selecting option 3 in the New Web Query dialog box. The help mentions to type the table number in quotes, (in various formats).
    I have tried multiple ways to retrieve a portion of the web page, with no success. I get an error informing that no data has been retuned.
    Can anyone shed some light on what is the problem, or how I must specify the table to retrieve?
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Retrieve part of a web page! (Excel 2000)

If you want to retrieve the second table in the web page, just enter 2 (without quotes) in the One or more specific tables box.
    If you want to retrieve the second and third tables, enter 2, 3.
    You can also use the names of the tables (in quotes), but not all tables in a web page are named, and you need to view the HTML source for the web page in order to know the name of the tables. If you select View | Source in Internet Explorer (presumably something similar in other browsers), you will see the HTML for the web page. A table definition starts with <Table ...>. If it is named, it looks like <Table ID="MyTable" ...> where MyTable is the name.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

That clears it up 4 me Hans.
    I never knew where to find the table names. I always thought it may have been the title of the table on the page. I tried that and it never worked. I will view it's source from now on.
    The numbers never worked either as the help mensioned to put the numbers in quotes...."1" etc. I will leave the quotes out and see if that works on some of my pages.
    Tx
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Note: all this has become much more user-friendly in Excel 2002 (and later). You get a preview of the web page, and each table is indicated by a yellow arrow. You simply click the arrows for the tables you want to retrieve.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I am aware of that. Tx
    I was really impressed with these options in XP and 2003! They are a great improvement!
    Regards,
    Rudi