Thread: Scrap file

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Scrap file

I have an old 486 computer that I'm going to sell. Long ago I upgraded it from Win 3.1 to Win 95 and upgraded the RAM and the modem. I've installed and uninstalled lots of stuff. When I boot up--and before I get the Win95 splash screen--I get a message that takes up about half the screen. The message tells me I've got pieces and parts of some program that I uninstalled. It does not identify the missing parts or program in any way. At the end, it tells me to hit "any key" to continue. I push a key and everything starts up like nothing's wrong. I'd like to fix this little annoyance before I sell it, and I'd really rather not have to reinstall Windows to fix the problem. Suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Scrap file

Does W95 not have a step-by-step option for booting? This may show what is happening.
    (Something like hitting F8 at boot-up where you get the options of Safe Mode, Command Prompt etc.?)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I believe Win95 does, indeed, allow step-by-step boot-up. I hadn't thought of that approach--thanks. Now...what might I be looking for as I execute this maneuver? And let's say the maneuver identifies the offending file(s). What then? How should I go about deleting (or at least disarming) it/them?

Thanks

Try this:
    Open up your autoexec.bat and config.sys files (both in c in Notepad and print them out.
    Do the step-by-step re-boot and tick off each command as it executes and you may find the culprit. If it does show up this way, you can disable it by adding REM in front of the line (see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm>here</A> for info.)
    Otherwise, we are going to need more information about what Windows is reporting it can't find