2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Format Hard Drive

I need your expertise for this one.
    I have an Samsung 60GB hard drive that I have been using for backup. The drive is in an external case connected thru a usb port & I have been using it for some time without problems. Since it was previously formated as FAT32, I decided to clean it up & reformat as NTFS.

After cleaning I ran Partition Magic 8, to set up 2 partitions & received an "error 27, Cannot lock drive".

Tried to reformat with Windows. After the format appeared to be finishing I received "Windows unable to complete format" .

The drive displays in MY Computer but shows no Total space or free space. If I click properties: it shows 0 used space 0 free space. Also none of the Tools in the run on it.

Running Win XP Home
    What can I do to fix it????

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Format Hard Drive

I also have a usb external hard drive and if my memory serves me right the drive will only be recognized (XP-Pro) if formatted as FAT or FAT32 and not NTFS.

Thanks

For a start, this exchange may help. If this works, then we're on the way. BTW, most external hard drives can be formated with NTSF.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies. PartitionMagic really is magic. After a number of failures, I decided to try PM again. Guess what ?? IT WORKED

Using PM8, I deleted the partition, then created a new 40GB NTFS partition (worked great this time), then I created a second NTFS partition using the remaining space. Once again worked just like the text book says.

I can't figure this one

For what its worth:
    PM ERROR code 27, states the following:
    #27 Cannot lock drive
    Under multitasking operating systems such as Windows 95, PartitionMagic must lock a partition before it can safely modify it. If the hard disk contains files that are in use by another process, PartitionMagic cannot lock the partition.

THE MYSTERY:
    There was no data on the drive & why didn't Windows format work ???