Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

web based remote access

Radmin - PC Remote Control Software seems the closest answer so far, but it's stiill not quite right.

Here are two scenarios:

1: I'm at a client site and want to grab a file from my own computer - known node.
    2: A potential client calls and wants support. I'd like to take over their computer from my office.

In both scenarios the computers at both ends are "known" in the sense, I believe, that I or the remote site can determine their node (e.g. "66.93.85.138") without too much trouble.

I have a feeling that there is/ought to be a simple mechanism for the two problem scenarios without going into, say, a $750 license fee against the possibilty that I might end up with 50 such clients.

About twice a month I'm in scenario (1) and remember fondly the BBS days when I could dial up my office computer and d/l a file.
    About once a month I may get a call from a prospect who needs help right now, and I won't have the luxury of travelling to them, nor of suggesting they use their credit card to install software on their machine. Further, my remote work on their machine may be a one-off transaction of this nature with them.

I've been unable, so far, to locate a package that is a simple d/l from the web, and can be used to effect a one-time transfer of data and/or control between two consenting Windows computers, but would love to hear of a solution.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: web based remote access

Check out SourceForge.net: Project Info - Ultr@VNC. Says it has builtin file transfer.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Besides VNC (which is very good but I found setup hard especially for a remote user who isn't really computer literate) is GoToMyPC. I use this to do 'tech support' on my brother & sister's PCs. It's not cheap though and is a yearly subscription thing. You have total control (can even reboot remotely), can transfer files and print a remote file to your local printer. I use it quite often to 'fix' their computers, do updates, etc. which even after years of having a PC they are still overwhelmed and clueless as to how to do things (hey Mr.Gates, are you listening??)

I found it much easier to setup and use than PCanywhere because neither my brother or sister could ever get it right as to how to do the connection and I gave up explaining again and again.

Deb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have not used it, but my friends in tech support like Log Me In , even the free version. That only helps the tech support aspect not the file transfer part