Lounger
    Thanks

Exchange outbound limits

I am looking for which value to adjust so that Exchange does not hog the entire outbound bandwidth sending email. From time to time, we need to send email to perhaps 250 contacts outside of the office. If there is a 250K attachment, Exchange grabs all of the outbound pipe trying to send email. I have suggested they do this after hours so as not to impact the rest of the office (35 people), but if the 'forget' I would like to have a cap on how much of the pipe Exchange can grab.

SBS2000, with about 40 people in the office.

Thanks

Re: Exchange outbound limits

I don't use Exchange so probably won't be much help, but with our server (MDaemon) I can set bandwidth limits for inbound smtp, outbound smtp, etc. You may find something if your search the Exchange help for 'bandwidth'
    However, if you limit what Exchange can do in this way, it won't be much help to others wanting to use/send emails as they will still be in the queue, but at least they will have some access to the internet.

I believe there is also a method of getting your ISP to handle the ditribution. Similar to adding a Distribution List to the To: field rather than creating 250 individual emails, you send a single email (with attachment) plus the distribution list to the ISP and it is distributed from there. I can't for the life of me remember the terminology or where I read about it now, but it may be worth talking about to your service provider.

Alternatively, you could place the 250K file on the web somewhere and just add a link to it....?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif. We use the mail distribution to contact the 10,000 opt-in members that want to get news, but the local committees, boards, etc. get disstribution from here. I'll continue the search... :-)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is this something you could do through your firewall? Sounds like a "traffic-shaping" or "Quality of service" problem.

I found an article on Technet about it, but it concentrated on controlling the size of the attachments.

I don't immediately see any way for Exchagne to control it's own bandwidth usage. You may have better luck contracting a thrird party mailing service or increasing your bandwidth.

Or, perhaps restrcit the use of the distribution list to a few people who are tasked with properly managing it, and who can be instructed to only send at night , etc.

Hope this Helps