2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

server vs. individual PM (2003)

Can anyone refer me to a good web site to get summary info on the benefits of using Project in a shared environment rather than using Project Standard on standalone PCs (but saving the projects on a shared network drive)? I've glanced through the MS site, but I'm wondering about additional (more objective?) resources. Thanks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: server vs. individual PM (2003)

I really don't know of a web resource for that topic. The advantage of using Project Server over stand alone Project are many.
    1. With the stand alone product only one person can open a file with read/write permissions, all others get read only
    2. You get SQL server security and the ability to define specific permissions for users
    3. The server based product is set up on a Windows 2000 or newer server over SQL Server , Exchange Server, and Internet Information Services, thus the ability to access your plans from a web address
    4. SQL Server is a full realtional database product allowing multiple users to access and make changes at the same time
    5. Project Server not only has the ability to support multiple users, it also offers many automated services like requesting status reports from team members at regular intervals
    6. A shared resource pool is very difficult if not impossible to manage in the stand alone product works great with the server product.
    7. If you are working in an environment with many users and many projects the server based product is a great tool
    8. The Server Product is expensive to setup. You need an IT person to setup up the hardware and software and you need a Project Manager to manage it after it is setup. Costs to consider--the hardware for a dedicated Project Server, a Windows 2000 Server liscence, a SQL Server Liscense, an Exchange Server liscense, a Project Server liscense, a copy of desktop project for users. and the Technical ablility to set it up.

Hope this information is helpful. There are many other advantages of the Server product, just too many to list here.
    Carla

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: server vs. individual PM (2003)

That is helpful - thank you! If anyone has anything to add, it's appreciated!

Angela