New Lounger
    Thanks

online Graph updates (excel 2000)

Hi,
    I have a query.
    I am downloading spreadsheet data from an outside scource.
    I need to convert this data into graph format.
    The problem I am having is that the data gets updated into the same cell every time, which means I can only plot one point.
    How do I get the data into consecutive cells, so that as the data updates, so does the graph?
    Does anybody know of any excel add ins that will enable me do make a range of technical analysis graphs?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks

Re: online Graph updates (excel 2000)

Could you provide more details of your needs.

There are many different ways to "parse data" from other sources:
    You can do it doing the import, you can do it afterwards
    You can do it manually or via a macro, many times changing the excel options can help

What kind of "technical analysis graphs" are you looking for? Many graph types are not built-in directly, but you can create many technical graphs with a little bit of "playing". Jon Peltier's Excel Charts is an excellent source of learning some "neat chart techniques" on how to make all sorts of "different" types of charts. Even if the exact chart is not what you are after, the techniques might lead you to where you want to be.

Please post back with more details and we can try to help.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
    I do not have a problem getting the data. I use the 'get external data' function.
    Once I have the data I transfer what I need onto another sheet where I want to make graphs.
    The problem is that the data updates itself into the same cell every time. Therefore I cannot set a data range for the graph as it needs to read consecutive cells in order to plot the graph.
    All I am now getting is an updated cell (the same one every time) which plots a dot at different levels each time the cell is updated.
    What I need to get is data updating itself into consecutive cells. eg. a1, a2, a3, ... etc.
    Once I have this info scource sorted out I would like to be able to make graphs of RSI, MACD, CCI, Stochastics etc.
    I don't know if this will be possible??

Thanks

You could save the data and chart onto another sheet and allow the "get external data" to allows put the data into the same place

You could manually copy the updated info into a chart sheet, though your best bet might be to have a macro run to update the data.

Your macro would
    1) Take the current value(s) in the "input cell(s)"
    2) put it into the next spot(s) in charting sheet
    3) "get" the additional "external data"

Or you could save the new value immediately "after" the data is updated (ie right after you "get external data")

I don't know which makes more sense in your situation. We would need more detailed info on your setup if you need help with the macro.

I am unfamiliar with the terms "RSI, MACD, CCI, Stochastics" so do not know how feasible they could be done in excel. If you could describe or perhaps link to a picture of what is plotted, we possibly could help more.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Attached is my Excel doc. I receive the data in sheet 1.(The first bordered block). The second bordered block is for unscrambled data, which I have done myself.
    Sheet 2, I am not working with yet.
    Sheet 3(bil) is the one I would like to sort. As you can see I have had to place the data into consecutive cells manually. I have tried to write a macro but have no idea what to do. I have started reading and learning about macro's but am still green at it.
    I can set the the 'get external data' to upload at a given interval. No problem. My problem is getting the data to update in consecutive cells in sheet(bil). I hope this is a bit clearer.
    Thanks.