Thread: Files

bkeen

Files

When I click on the open file icon, the window comes up, but all of the folder icons shift left. Instead of folders starting with A being in view, I am viewing files at the end of the list, such as W through Z. The same things happens to the files in the folders. They also shift to the end of the list. How can I correct this irritating problem? I am using Windows 98, Office 2000 Pro, and Office 95. Word and Excel both have the problem when opening a file, but not when saving a file. Thank you for any suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Files

Are you viewing the files in the list or detail mode?
    If so pick the title bar over the file name and folder list. This should resort the list. It is a toggle type switch when picking the title bars, asending and desending. This can be done on ALL of the different columns of the listing.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

If I understand your question correctly, when you click on the Open icon (or on File | Open), the folder/file list jumps to the right most portion of the list and in order to get to the folders/files at the beginning of the list, you need to scroll left.

If that is your problem, I have noticed the same thing since upgrading to Office 2000 Premium. My assumption has been that it is a bug ("feature" ??) and that there is nothing the user can do to change this behavior.

I, too, would be interested in any additional thoughts and/or solutions.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

next time, try and remember if it's jumping to the last used file. I think it is but i use so many different files and open them so many different ways using 3 machines that i can't be sure.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

My interpretation of of what is happening is that you are in an application and click File>Open. The dialog is automatically selecting the first document of that type within the directory you are looking at and hence scrolling to it on screen. If there is no file of that type in the browsed directory you would see the sorted first folder but the number of folders is too great to see em all as well as the first matching file type.

To minimise the annoyance, either make sure that directory level contains no files of that type (eg *.doc if running it from Word) or reduce the number of directories. OR Make some shortcuts to bypass the directory completely and go straight to the directory you wanted in the first place.

I can live with the issue because I think of it as a useful feature but there are certainly network directories where I wish I could just get rid of that pesky file that someone else mis-filed.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I found this posted over at PC911 board, check out the MS KB before doing anyting. <font color=red>This should be done ONLY by one who knows how to edit the REISTRY.</font color=red>
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...RCH&SPR=WIN2000
    <font color=448800>
    MS Knowledge Base Article:
    Q233526 - Contents of the Open and Save As Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly
    To resolve this issue, set the ShellState value in the registry to the default value. To do so, use Registry Editor to view the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorer

If needed, edit the "ShellState" value to match the following value:
    1C 00 00 00 A7 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00

NOTE: You do not have to restart your computer for these changes to take effect.</font color=448800>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

bkeen

Files - Fix

Andrew Lockton put me on the right track. I went to Windows Explorer and opened Mydocuments. It had folders listed first with a few files at the end of the list. I put all of the files in the proper folders or into a misc. folder. Now the list works at I expect it to. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and help with my problem. Bruce Keen.