Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox & Thunderbird Security update (1.0.1)

Just a heads up, Mozilla anticipate that they will release testing builds for Firefox 1.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.0.1 sometime between 18th & 22nd. If all goes well with these test builds then version 1.0.1 of both products will be released by the end of next week. These are security and stability updates and will not contain new features.

<big>Firefox 1.1</big>
    Further down the road, Firefox 1.1 is currently scheduled to be released in June. There will be few new features with much of the work being behind the scenes such as using the new gecko engine for rendering pages which is currently undergoing beta testing. New features planned for Firefox 1.1 include the following but are subject to change.

1) 'Sanitize Settings' which automatically removes privacy information with a keyboard shortcut or when you close Firefox (Screenshot)

2) Options Window UI Update (Screenshot)

3) New Cookie Controls per site (Screenshot)

4) Extension Manager upgrades:
    <UL><LI>Command Line Installation/Uninstallation
    <LI>Server-Side GUID Blacklist
    <LI>Enhanced Global Registration[/list]5) Mac Profile Migrators for:
    <UL><LI>Apple Safari
    <LI>Mozilla Camino
    <LI>Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x
    <LI>Omniweb 5[/list]6) Searchable download actions manager (now with integrated full page plugin support)

7) Possible Accessibilities options

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Firefox & Thunderbird Security update (1.0.1)

Tony, all-knowledgeable Firefox person!

Is there any chance that some of the more bizarre printing issues will get sorted out in v 1.1?

For example, if you try to print an AA route plan with more than one page of directions plus map, then you just get the AA logo on page 1, correct printing on page 2, and everything shifted left on page 3, losing about a couple of inches of the text and map! IE does a more sensible job.

(Try putting (say) Bristol and Truro into the AA Route Planner, tick the "Would you like a map?" and do Print Preview!)

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

John

It may be due to non-compliant coding that causes the skewed output and large gaps in FF 1.0, but in the latest nightly builds print & print preview for that site cause FF to crash. I have submitted a bug report about this.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Tony -- obviously more work to do.

I've also noticed sites whether the text and form boxes are not correctly displayed. This one is about the worst I have come across!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

John

That one is down to the site not complying with the W3C standards - see validation results

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm - bit of a pig's ear, then! Thanks. I will point it out to them...

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John

An update re the printout bug for the AA travel planner. It has been fixed as of the nightly build for 23rd March. It no longer causes the nightly builds to crash and the print outs are properly formatted. The bad news is that unless you want to use the nightly test builds you will have to wait for the Firefox 1.1 release which is due out in the Summer. The patch will not be included in the Firefox 1.0.2 release which is due to be released very soon.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Tony - I think I will wait for Firefox 1.1.

Fortunately there are at least half a dozen alternative online Route Planners for the UK and I could always use IE if I wanted the AA one specifically.

Thanks for the info!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...