New Lounger
    Thanks

Drop down in Parameter Query? (Access2003)

Hello,
    Is it possible to add a drop down menu to a parameter query?
    For example, I have a query asking for the 'Company Name' , and I would like to have a drop down from which to select the 'Company Name'. Also, after the Company Name is selected, the next parameter is 'Machine#' - how do I tie the Machine# to the Company Name selected previously (so only Machine#'s related to the 'Company Name' selected appear in the 'Machine#' parameter drop down? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bart Putnam

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drop down in Parameter Query? (Access2003)

The way to do this is to create a form with a combo box that displays the list of companies, and a combo box that lists the machines for the selected company. See for example How to synchronize two combo boxes on a form in Access 2002 or in Access 2003, or do a search for cascading combo box in this forum.

You can replace the query parameters with references to the combo boxes, e.g. [Forms]![frmSelect]![cboCompany]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    I've tried what you recommended but I'm getting errors. I'm also not sure how to tie the Report to the parameter query while using a Form to make selections.
    I've attached a copy of the database. The Report I'm trying to work on is called 'Analysis Report'. It is pulled from the 'Analysis Query'' which has the Company Name and Machine # parameters. I'm trying to be able to have drop down choices for the Company Name and Machine # parameters.
    Thanks,
    Bart

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have used spaces and characters such as # in the names of fields and controls. I always avoid that, for it requires you to enclose those names in square brackets [ ], otherwise SQL and VBA won't recognize them, or raise errors.
    See attached modified version.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans!
    Is there a way to exclude the duplicate entries from the Machine# Combo box?

I did realize I had really broken naming conventions, etc. I plan to go back through the database and name objects 'properly'.
    Thanks again.
    Bart

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The code in the database I attached already eliminates duplicate entries by setting the Row Source of the Machine # combo box to a SQL statement beginning with SELECT DISTINCT.