New Lounger
    Thanks

Error Message (Home/SP 2)

I have suddenly started to receive an error message: Invalid Location Provided. This is quite random, does not happen in any particular application and I can only assume it is associated with Windows XP. It disappears when accepted and does not appear to have any adverse effects. Any Suggestions?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Message (Home/SP 2)

There's no reference to that three-word message on TechNet. Can you give any more clues, please?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John, Thanks for your attention. The only information I can add is a small window appears with the word ERROR in top left hand corner and the words: Invalid Location Provided. in the body of the Window. When I click on OK at the bottom it disappears. I have no doubt it will appear again and when it does I will obtain a screen capture and post it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Have you installed anything new recently? Have you updated anything recently? What are you running at the time? Have you run a malware scan with Ad-aware & Spybot-S&D? Do you have an up-to-date A/V product? Have you run a full scan?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe. Let me answer in reverse and give you a little bit of history that you ask for. I run Norton A/V and Ad-Ware and both are up to date. 2 days ago, on the 15th, Norton detected 3 X Trojans ( Trojan.ByteVerify) which were automatically deleted and I deleted the backup items in the Quarantine Folder. These were temp internet files which I have searched for and confirm they have been deleted. I subsequently ran a full scan and no infected files were found. I have also run Ad-Ware and there is no malware there. I do not have Spybot-S&D. I installed a Text Message programme called e-txt together with Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 on the 12th and updated to the latest version of Windows Media Player on the 13th. I also installed a new Driver for a iiyama Prolite E481S Monitor last evening as it was showing as a Plug & Play and I was getting an warning message re Signal Frequency out of Range. The new Driver corrected the problem. I also had a Windows Crash on the 12th which Microsoft laid at the door of the NVidia Driver requiring Update but as yet I have not updated.
    A lot has happened in the last few days without my realising but my gut feeling is that this Error Message has only occurred since the Trojan incident. The message is random in time and application although I would say that as I am on Broadband, Outlook is running in the background as my email client.

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you used Task Manager to identify what processes are active when the message appears? Have you used a tool such as Sysinternals - Autoruns to check what is being started when you boot the PC? Please post screen shots if you need help to identify what things are.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't done that as yet but having run a Diagnostic test on e-txt and having found a fault I queried the message with their Support. Was advised that the fault was only a bug in the Diagnostic Test but the Technician, Al Shortland, then enquired if I had Weather Monitoring Software running in the background, which I have. He then directed me to http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/rema...90064~mode=flat which has probably got the answer. What do you think, it certainly is the same error message and the randomness equates.

Administrator
    Thanks

Seems reasonable. What Weather software are you running? I run Tropic Designs - WeatherPulse without no apparent problems.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe

I am running The Weather Channel, which is the software that all the other people are running that are getting similar problems. Will have a look at Tropic Designs.

Thanks for your interest and help.