New Lounger
    Thanks

upgrade to xp pro (professional)

hi,
    I just upgraded a few machines from 98 SE to XP Pro. They are definitely slower and more sluggish. I know that adding RAM can help speed them up, but how much RAM can I add? Most have PC 100-322-620, and the one of most concern is running at 397 MHZ. the rest are Pentium II or above.
    Will that solve the problem??
    I am reading now that upgrade are not recommended (too late). Was this a really bad decision? I did run the XP upgrade advisor on all machines, and most of the conflicts were with peripheral software..
    Thanks,
    confused??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 889 Posts

Re: upgrade to xp pro (professional)

If you have white box systems you'll need to consult the documentation with the Motherboard. If you have an OEM system try Memory upgrades, graphics cards, flash media, and storage at Crucial.com. Easy to use 'Memory Adviser'. Good hardware at a good price. Your 397Mhz processor is really too slow. I'd consider anything slower than a 500 Mhz PIII too slow but it really depends on what they are used for. It may be that with enough memory it would be passable as long as you turn off all the XP 'eye candy'. With RAM prices still very low, you should consider 512 MB RAM a minimum.

Joe
    Joe