Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sticky Attributes (XP & cmd)

I'm copying files from CD to a hard drive, and the process baulks.

I examine the folder that is destined to receive the files (right-click, Properties), and notice that the Read-Only bit is a grey check, indicating that some files/folders are read-only whereas some are not. I unset the check box and elect to apply to "this folder, subfolders, and all files", but notice on return that the check box is still a grey tick.

The files within the folder ("C:PrecedentsCorpInnovationARTICLESPrecedents from TLV") are all NOT marked as read-only, that is, I can overwrite them should i choose.

What gives?

I dropped to the command prompt and tried "attrib -R /s", but see no change when I right-click, Properties in Explorer.

If I go to the parent folder C:Precedents and right-click, Properties, I see the greyed-out check; choosing "apply to all subfolders" takes the appropriate amount of time (several days!), but there still seems to be a mixture of settings.

Have I mis-understood the significance of a greyed-out check in this situation?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sticky Attributes (XP & cmd)

I guess we should both search this forum for supplemental help, Chris, because I can't remember the "why" for what I'm about to say. As far as I know, WinXP marks ALL folders as Read Only and won't let you change that setting. I could be wrong, hence the idea for a search - pretty sure this topic's been discussed before. As to why your copying process balked, I don't know. I also thought the files copied FROM a CD would retain their read only setting, but I couldn't find any on my drives that I remember, so I have no evidence of that claim.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Al. Stuart posted the answer <!post=here,446000>here<!/post>. It all makes sense now.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Al

I think you're mildly wrong about the XP folders and any "universal" read-only status.

I only have MSOCache and Program Files as Read-only, plus a few of the Windows subdirectories (like Fonts) and selected ones in Documents and Settings. And no doubt a few others -- but is very few!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 891 Posts

John,

For a more detailed explanation see the 'Cause' section in You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John, have you looked at the thread from Stuart that Chris pointed to, or the link from Joe? EVERY folder I look at in Windows Explorer is marked as Read Only, sir.

Thanks

Al,
    If you don't have it already, download and install Attribute Changer . This little utility adds a "change attributes" to the context menu when you right click on a folder or a file. Once you install this, right click on any number of your folders, select 'change attributes...' and I think you'll discover what John is talking about.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, John. I might download or take a look at it. The thing is, I've never had a NEED to worry about the read only status of FOLDERS. I've always been able to create, delete, rename or otherwise modify folders without the least concern. The "other John" might have said that his system has been doctored, rather than point out the incorrectness of my statement. Now, we need to see how Chris makes out with his CD copying...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Al

I am not aware that my system has been doctored! Why on earth would I or anyone else want to change the Read-only attribute of folders??

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's interesting that your display agrees with the output of a DOS Attrib command, but if you right click on any folder and select "Properties" then Windows Explorer always displays Read Only attributes of a Folder like this.

StuartR

Edited by <!profile=StuartR>StuartR<!/profile> to add
    According to <!mskb=326549>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 326549<!/mskb>
    <hr>"The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders.<hr>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I cry "uncle," John with apologies for any implied sharpness! By doctored, I thought maybe you were running a peripheral program that was telling you something special. I never bother displaying the attribute column as you showed, so I checked it and mine DOES look much like you showed. However, as indicated by Stuart, if I right-click for example on a Temp folder I use for junk as well as downloads, the GREEN box shows it as read only even though the attribute column shows nothing and the few files in the folder only have an "A" as expected. OK, so much for more vagaries of Windows, huh?