2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Code execution suddenly stopped (Office XP/VBA)

I've been using a template with Word XP at the office and Word 2K at home for the last 5 months. Today when I came back to the office, my macros are stopping at odd places and giving me the "Code execution has been interrupted" message.

If I click Debug, there are no breakpoints on the lines where it stops, but it stops on those lines every time. There doesn't seem to be anything consistently about the places where it stops. If I click Continue, everything runs okay, though some macros have a couple of spots where they stop.

I haven't changed the template in a week (and I've used it successfully since then on both machines). The only thing that has changed is that another user has been using my work machine while I'm out of the office. She might have installed some software, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions? What can I check? Thanks!
    Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Code execution suddenly stopped (Office XP/VBA)

1. Has your Esc key become stuck? You never know...

2. Check if your Normal.dot has been changed recently, and if add-ins have been activated (Tools | Templates and Add-ins...)

3. VBA code collects fluff over time. You can get rid of it by using the free VBA Code Cleaner from Combatting Template Bloat on the Word MVP site. I don;t know if it will solve your problem, but it's worth a try.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Code execution suddenly stopped (Office XP/VBA)

Thanks Hans!

I tried a few troubleshooting things:
    * Tested on additional documents
    * Removed existing Normal and let Word create a fresh one
    * Restored a previous version of the template

But the problem still happened consistently. I found a post on an MS Word newsgroup from a guy with a similar problem. He thought it was hardware related.

So, I shut down and plugged in a new mouse, and the problem went away. But I plugged in the original mouse, and the problem still hasn't happened again. I guess the issue was fixed by restarting, so it must have been some weird memory glitch? I'll post back if it happens again!

Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect