New Lounger
    Thanks

Updating a TOC (Word2000/2002)

Hi,

I am trying to automate some document actions in Word2000/XP (I can choose the version...). I am doing this from Perl iso. VB/VBA, but the language is not really the problem. What I want to do is :
    1. Load a doc into word.
    2. Cut out some things between known delimiters
    3. Update the TOC/TOF
    4. Save the doc & exit.

Actions 1,2 and 4 work like a charm. But I cannot get that freaking TOC to update ! No matter what I try, it will only update the page numbers in best cases. This is so frustrating :-( I used the macro recorder to see how it records a TOC update when choosing to update it completely iso. only the page numbers, but I noticed that it does not put that choice into the code... running the macro will only pop up the dialog box with that question again.

I also tried most of TOC solutions posted here, but once again => page numbers updates and nothing more :-(

Anyone knows the trick to make word update every single bit of the TOC ?

Thanks !

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating a TOC (Word2000/2002)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Try

ActiveDocument.TablesOfContents(1).Update

If you have created a variable of type Document, use that instead of ActiveDocument. If you have more than one TOC in the document, use the appropriate index number.

New Lounger
    Thanks

"Welcome to Woody's Lounge!"

Thanks ! :-)

I tried the line of code you have there (well... translated to Perl then) but it gives me a Type Mismatch error from OLE...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I have zero knowledge of Perl. Does it work for you if you try it in Word itself?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Oh wait... now I tried :

$Word->ActiveDocument->TablesOfContents(1)->Update();

and this does work ! Although I do not know why... array indexes are supposed to be square brackets in Perl... Anyone that knows why a function call with argument = 1 returns met the first TOC (even though the function - well method) is documented as not taking any arguments, is very welcome to explain to me.

Anyway : Thank you VERY VERY much for this answer... it works, oh yes it works...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Don't confuse TableOfContents and TablesOfContents. According to the online help, TablesOfContents is "A collection of TableOfContents objects that represent the tables of contents in a document." You refer to an item in a collection by specifying its index number (or name).