5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Popups won't popup

I am going slightly mad trying to get the bottom of a problem I have on Windows2K
    In Office Help (Word, Excel, Access etc) one often finds that there are words/phrases highlighted in blue which, if clicked, generate a popup with extra info about the item. All these have stopped working. I've done some Google searching and the culprit seems to be a security update to IE6 (822925) and/or an Office security update (262767) which was intended to 'fix' a problem that MS caused issuing a previous fix.
    Can any lounger help me to get these popups working again without reopening the security hole that MS was trying to block in the first place?
    Thanks
    Silverback

Thanks

Re: Popups won't popup

According to this page at adminlife.com you are out of luck.

There is mention, though, of replacing Ouactrl.ocx to regain the pop-up functionality. As it also brings back the security threat, perhaps you could swap the original and newer versions just while you needed the Help to work? Not an ideal solution I know....

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Popups won't popup

I see Leif has zeroed in on the (possible) cause. I had the same problem on 98SE and found this was the answer - see Help on Help (2000).

The old version that worked for me is 1.01.0009 (102KB) but there may be newer ones that will also work properly.

Alan