Thanks

Activesync won't install!

I've had an HP 2215 for over a year now, and feel it's finally time to move beyond Solitaire and actually use it for something worthwhile.
    Actually I use it to take notes in meetings, but that's been about it so far.
    I had installed Activesync on my work laptop awhile back (3.7.1) but it never recognized when the PDA was in the cradle. So just this morning I decided to reinstall Activesync. Sometime during the installation process I got the attached error message.
    I rebooted and tried to do the install again, but received the same error.
    Then I decided to see if there was a newer version of Activesync and found 3.8. I tried that and got the same error.

My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad T23 running Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4.
    The only thing I can think of that might cause a problem recognizing the PDA is that I'm using a 4-port USB hub (the PC has 2 ports but the wonderful port replicator we have to use only has 1, so I use this small (no AD adapter needed) hub - it works fine for almost everything I plug into it (except for my MP3 player).
    But that wouldn't explain the failure of Activesync to even install.

Any thoughts? The cookie of the day is Pepperidge Farms soft Oatmeal Raisin - if you can figure this out I'll have one in your honor. Yum!

Thanks -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have a cookie -

Don

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Re: Activesync won't install!

I can only give some general points. The error you are getting suggests an incomplete installation and therefore the USB hub is unlikely to be the problem. You could test this by plugging your cradle directly into one of the computer's USB sockets.

Try uninstalling ActiveSync through Control Panel>Add/Remove programs. That might remove whatever is stopping 3.8 from installing. Then try installing 3.8 from scratch.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Activesync won't install!

Don

Just an idea that has popped into my head...are you set up as administrator on the laptop? If not

1) Load software as administrator
    2) Complete upload
    3) Log off admin and log on yourself
    4) Put pda in its cradle and set up partnership

You have probably done this already but as I say an idea
    Jerry