Star Lounger
    Thanks

Still More Subform Total Issues (Access 2000 and up)

Hello,

OK, it has finally sunk in to me that when I want to refer to a subform footer control in a main form, I need to use the name of the control that holds the subform rather than the name of the subform itself. I've got that, and I no longer see the #name? error in the control on the main form.

Now, I have another frustrating issue.

In my database, I have a form called Order Items, which is used as a subform. I have a text box control called Total that has the following expression: =sum([quantity]*[UnitPrice]). This calculates fine in the single form view of this subform. The subform control on the main form is called frmOrderItems.

I have placed another text box control on my main form called ItemTotal which contains the following expression in the control source: =[frmOrderItems]![Total]

When I show the main form in form view, the text box control called ItemTotal is blank. No error message, no nothing. At least if I had an error message I'd have a place to start from, but this blank is extra frustrating. I'm guessing, since I have no error message, that it's a simple fix, which raises my blood pressure all the more.

What simple thing do I need to do to make the numbers appear?

Thanks in advance,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Still More Subform Total Issues (Access 2000 and up)

From your description, it seems you are doing it correctly. Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions. That would enable Loungers to look at the problem directly.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. It's a practice database, so no confidential information. The Main form is Order Entry. The subform is Order Items. The name of the totals field in the footer of the subform is Total. The name of the control in the main form that contains the subform is Order Items by Company.

The main form contains a field that is supposed to show the totals of the subform. The field contains the expression =[Order Items by Company]![Total], but it's blank.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm confused. Your subform is named Order Items, and its control name on the main form is OrderItems, not Order Items by Company. So =[Order Items by Company]![Total] will not work - wrong name. But in the database you attached, the control source of Text30 is =[OrderItems]![Total], and that works - see screenshot.