Star Lounger
    Thanks

setup remote desktop

I have set up the home networking using dsl modem and router. File and folder sharing working fine. printer shareing is fine too. Now want to set up remote desktop between my two computers. spent few hours still can figure out how it works. When I try to connect the #1 computer(host) from #2 computer, it pop up that I can not log on to the #1 computer because the password or the domain name is not correct . which user name ,password and domain name should I type in. How do I know my domain.
    fire wall properly configured
    two computers with xp pro

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: setup remote desktop

I assume that your computers are not in a domain, but just a workgroup. If this is wrong let us know. (To check you can look at Control Panel > System > Computer Name).

To set up users for remote connections:
    Assume the PC you want to connect to is PC1 and the one you want to connect from is PC2

On PC1 Look in Control Panel > System > Remote > Select Remote Users...
    Add a username from PC1

On the PC2 make sure you have a user with exactly the same username and password as you have just specified on PC1. Log in to this account on PC2. Now try connecting.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you StuartR!
    It worked. But some more questions please,
    If I connect to my friends computer via internet, can I type in his computer name instead of ip? if yes, how my computer can find my friends computer?
    If my friend want to connect to my pc1 by using my ip, how his computer distinguish the pc1 and pc2 in my network.(I assume I have only one ip )

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

These questions are not easy, because of the way the internet works. The best advice I can offer you is "Don't even try to do this across the public internet, you will be exposing your PCs to every hacker who wants to play guess the password". If you decide to proceed after this warning then...

Does your friend have a fixed IP address from their ISP, or do they use DHCP to get a different address each time they connect? Does your friend have a hostname assigned by their ISP? In the worst case they will have a variable address and no hostname. Depending on the answers to these questions this may be anything from easy to very difficult to configure.

Your two PCs are connected to the internet via some sort of router, that presumably does Network Address Translation (NAT). What device is this? It wil have the capability to take requests to your single public internet address and route them to one PC. (possibly a different PC for different applications, but only one for TCP Port 3389 which is used by Remote Desktop).

An alternative that you may want to consider is "Remote Assistance". Have a look at the Help and Support Center to see if this looks like it might be what you want.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks StuartR!
    I will never try it over the internet.