New Lounger
    Thanks

RE Re re.....all the way to the asylum (OL2000-2003)

Our company is still relying on a (gasp!) DOS based program called "The Coordinator" since it does what nothing else has managed to do - it manages conversations - not just messages - by means of a (hidden) conversation ID field in the header. Thus, all messages retain the subject name and users can read everything, post after post after post.

Now, however, many of my users are attempting to make Outlook function the same way, and are relatively successful. However, one in particular (now using OL2003 on Exchange with the OL Editor) keeps encountering a problem where he responds to all from his last send and occasionally that tags an extra RE in front of the subject (so he's sending RE re and somehow, OL2000 as a POP client (at least, that's the user who receives it) can't put that in to the same conversation grouping. (Is that convoluted enough? Did I confuse anyone yet? If not, there's another piece.....)

The assistant to the user plagued by "re" is also configured as OL2003 on Exchange using the built in editor (not Word) and he just had mail forwarded to him and one of his replies generated a RE re: - he sent it to me (Exchanage, OL2003 using Word 2003) and my reply removed RE, re: AND FWD! I am beginning to think we need to put Word back in the picture as the editor -but I have thought of a number of things and so far have yet to resolve this one.

Is anyone able to point me towards some resources where I can get a handle on this? Or does anyone have any thoughts as to what this is all about? Thanks ahead of time!

Richard

Thanks

Re: RE Re re.....all the way to the asylum (OL2000

I've used Outlook with the built-in editor for the long time, just recently starting with Exchange 2003, but I cannot recall any case of RE being doubled (or of FWD being removed, but I'm not sure I would have noticed that). Maybe there are particular special circumstances involved relating to your other software?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: RE Re re.....all the way to the asylum (OL2000

Thanks for the quick response; the other software mentioned is not a factor in any way. Like I said, it's a DOS app that runs all by itself when it runs. It's real contribution to the issue, however, is that it has my users expecting to manage conversations using Outlook's "view by conversation" view. I thought that the initial issue was due to the user with the problem having both a POP account and and exchange (5.5) account, since that generated messages FROM him ON BEHALF OF him - but removing the POP account, while eliminating the "on behalf of" issue, didn't handle the extra RE's that show up from time to time. Good thinkin' tho.....

Richard