4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Document window opens off-screen (Word 6.0?)

My father is having a recurring problem with Word in which it opens a document in a window that is completely off the desktop. If he right-clicks the document window's entry on the taskbar he can make the document appear by selecting "Maximize," but if he de-maximizes the window, it disappears off the desktop again.

I'm baffled by this. I have been using Word intensively since the days of Windows 3.1, and I have never had this happen to me. I cannot imagine what might make it happen, or how to make it stop.

His machine is several years old, and is running Windows 98. I'm not sure what version of Word is running, but it would be contemporaneous.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document window opens off-screen (Word 6.0?)

Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post> may help, in particular the 4th step: Delete the Data Key.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

A method to move Windows that are off screen is to press Alt+Spacebar, then press M. The mouse cursor will change to 4-arrows at the side of the screen nearest to where the window is located. You can then use the arrow keys to move the window back onto the screen, once the window is back on-screen press Enter.

Thanks

A macro, if you can access the VB Editor, can be used to reposition the off-screen window to the upper left corner. Take a look at <post#=281914>post 281914</post#>.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>A macro, if you can access the VB Editor...

Good idea. Ironically I could write that macro out of my head, but the idea of doing so just never occurred to me. I will have to put it in the Normal template and assign it to a shortcut so that he can execute it without access to the missing Windows menu.

The cursor control key idea is also generally good, _if_ you can figure out what direction to move the window in! I know how to do that, but my father's vision is limited, and the cues he would need to pick up just aren't accessible.