Thread: Printer Problem

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printer Problem

I have an HPLaserJet5L and am running Windows98SE. I can print a full page landscape covered entirely in text with no problem. However, if I cover several lines at random with 15% shading, the page prints with several vertical streaks where the shading is paler than the rest. Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer Problem

My (admitted) limited experience with the 5L goes back a ways, but it sounds like a "memory" problem, assuming your cartridge is OK. How much memory to you have in the machine - the default? The last one I worked on had a problem, although not exactly as you describe, that was solved by boosting the memory in the printer.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The 5L has 5MB memory and the toner cartridge is newly inserted although we have had it in stock (before using it ) for some time.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phil

The usual "lack of memory" symptom in HP printers is where you get the first half/two-thirds/whatever of your intended page printed on the first sheet, and the remainder on the next. Streaking is usually a physical problem.

Have you tried the "take the cartridge out and rotate it in several directions" procedure (usually done to get the last part of the toner to be used when the cartridge is nearly empty)? The toner may have compacted somewhat during lengthy storage. BUT BE CAREFUL, for as you are probably well aware toner seems to be able to escape and go over everything adjacent!

Or get your torch/flashlight out and look at the internals of the printer to see if there's any evidence of toner on the rollers, etc...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...