New Lounger
    Thanks

Edit Message in Outlook (OL 2003)

Office Watch #10.06 on how to edit message. My EDIT menu (Edit Message) function is greyed out. Yet, I can right/click and bring up the edit message function. Why can't I access EDIT Menu (edit message) as per the instructions in OW#10.06? Is there some configurations I need to change?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Edit Message in Outlook (OL 2003)

For one thing, the Edit menu is message format sensitive: it is present with plain-text and HTML messages, but not with RTF; with RFT you can directly edit a message without either the right-click | Edit or Edit | Edit Message. (I was a bit surprised that Woody didn't mention it, but RTF format is not recommended because of problems with the message content outside of the Exchange/Office environment.)

If that doesn't help, are you using Word as your editor? Examine your message setup in more detail and post it back to this thread.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Message setup is Tools/options/mailformat/HTML and using Word2003 as editor and using Word 2003 to read RTF both checked. I experimented with changing to plain text and it made no difference, the Edit message is still greyed out. I have the power toy for Outlook to OneNote and wonder if that could possibly have any bearing. I am using Office 2003 Professional with Infopath and also have Visual Studio.net 2003 (which I don't know how to use) installed. My ISP is comcast.
    I don't know what else I can tell you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It's not your settings that matter, it's the format of the message you are trying to edit; messages sent to you from other parties retain the format set by the originator unless you actively change them. You can tell the message format in the message read window by clicking on Format; the message formats may be grayed out, but the current format will be checked.

Send yourself a plain text message, an RTF message, and an HTML message, and when you get them, on each see if there's a difference in your edit TB, and post back what you find. If you have atypical menu behavior there are a few other things we can check. The power toy for Outlook to OneNote shouldn't have any bearing on it, not sure about Infopath, as I don't use it

Other questions that might be germane are
    1. are you on Exchange? There may be server settings in play.
    2. are you trying to edit a message marked Private? I don't think you are able to edit them in an Exchange environment.
    3. Are you in an entity that uses Information Rights Management? I haven't used it, but I understand IRM can also restrict editability.
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Results of the three messages to myself. HTML and Rich Text message still have Edit Menu/Edit Message greyed out. Both messages can be edited by right/clicking and selecting edit message. Plain Text message had neither Edit Menu/Edit Message nor right/click available to edit message.

I am just a housewife, not on exchange, nor receiving private mail.
    I don't think I have IRM installed unless it somehow automatically installed with the Office 2003 setup, which I installed over Office 2000.

BTW thanks for your efforts in helping me.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Those are odd menu results, not consistent with mine in XP or 2003. See if this helps: close Outlook and all Outlook windows (separate messages, calendars, etc.). Then from the Start | Run prompt enter:

outlook /cleanviews

... which will restart Outlook. (You shouldn't need to specify the entire path to the folder containing outlook.exe, but you may need to if you get a 'file not found' error message.)

That -may- fix the problem, post back if not. Any other posters who may have a solution, please jump in.

Also, it's very unlikely that you would have IRM installed in a personal machine.
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Just as a matter of interest, can you edit the messages?
    The only time I see the 'Edit Message' greyed out is when I've already selected it as an option...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I can edit HTML and RT messages by right/clicking and selection edit message. Cannot edit plain text message at all.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The Start/run outlook/ cleanviews suggestion didn't appear to change anything. Can you edit plain text messages?

Thanks

Sorry, I meant when the 'Edit message' option is greyed out, are you able to edit the plain text message anyway (as if you had selected Edit Message) - if that makes sense!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot edit plain text messages at all. Putting cursor in the body and trying to change anything doesn't work. All formating functions are dimmed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You can NOT format plain text. You can add, delete or revise the words but that is all. That is the limit of plain text.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot add, edit, revise or even do anything within a plain text message.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Not even by right clicking in the text?

Try this, under Tools | Options | Mail Format UNcheck use Word to Edit E-Mail Messages, close and restart Outlook, see if your Edit menu behavior changes.
    UTC -7ąDS