georgette

Seating layout for wedding

I am helping a friend do a seating layout for a wedding. Is there a way to "merge" the names in the database to a shapes on a Visio drawing that I can then "push around" to do the layout? I tried following the on-line help instructions in Visio for running the Database Wizard but became lost in the MS language!! I need directions in plain English!! If the directions are complicated, can you recommend a book?

TIA,
    Georgette

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Seating layout for wedding

First, which version of Visio are you using? There are some differences between Visio 5 and Visio 2000 that depend on the particular version.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have Visio 2000 (Standard at work, Professional at home, I think).

Apparently there is a facilities management wizard in Visio Technical but not in Standard or Professional.

My alternative is to try to do an Organizational chart, with each table being a "executive".

Any other creative suggestions would be appreciated... :>)

Thanks in advance,
    Georgette

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does your version have an office layout template? That should include shapes for tables, etc., and you can create custom properties for the shape to hold the names and then rubber stamp the shape as many times as you need. I've done similar stuff with the network stencils in Visio Professional and it creates its own database to hold the data. Then you can query that database from outside Visio.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I DO have the office layout and tried to create a custom property for the shape to hold the name; however, the name does not appear on the shape. Why?

Actually, I would rather go the other way as I have names in a database already... I would like Visio to take the names from the database and put the names onto shapes that I can then move around.

Other than Facilities Management (which comes in the Tech edition that I do not have), any suggestions to go from db-->shapes?
    TIA,
    Georgette

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The custom properties hold the data for the shape but they don't display it, which is apparently what you want. Using the Tools-->Macros-->Visio Extras, you can select database settings, and tell Visio the database you want to use. After that, you might want to create custom shapes that will display the names in the custom properties.
    Charlotte