5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Accounting... sort of (2003)

I am faced with a pleasant dilemma and seek a solution. I have four small businesses and they are doing well but I am not doing a good job of tracking expenses and income by business.

I currently have an Excel spreadsheet that uses data validation lists to restrict entries to specific business names and expense items. My problem is in being able to see a summary of each/all expenses, by business, for designated time periods.

Would it be better to try to develop some sort of a macro to do this in Excel or move the entire thing into Access and try and create special reports or pivot tables or something like that?

What would you recommend?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Accounting... sort of (2003)

In my opinion and from 12 years of experience, Quicken [even DOS v7] is the way to go.

I've been managing my 2 buisnesses with no problems!!!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Any solution you come up with in Excel or Access is going to be reinventing the wheel. For relatively little money (less than $500, tax deductable as a business expense) you can buy Quickbooks which is designed to do exactly what you want and a lot more. If you aren't already faced with payroll (and the associated taxes and government red tape), for another small annual fee, it can do your payroll and track and submit all the taxes, and create W2s and all the associated submital forms. Well worth what it costs.
    Legare Coleman

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

In the templates that comes with Access 2003, there is one to track expences. Maybe you can start with that.
    Francois