5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ignore new hardware (compact flash) (XP Home SP-2)

I have three compact flash cards for my digital camera. Two are "brand-X", and one is the original card that came with my Nikon camera. I have used all three cards successfully on my desktop computer (XP Pro SP-1) using a Sandisk USB Compact Flash card reader. Recently I purchased a notebook computer (XP Home, SP-2), equipped with a PCMCIA (PCCard) carrier for the CF cards. One of the brand X cards works perfectly, but the other two invoke the XP New Hardware Wizard every time that I insert them into the PCCard carrier. Windows tells me there is a hardware problem because the devices are not properly signed, and the hardware installation informs me that it has failed.

However, the Compact Flash is completely accessible via Windows Explorer. Furthermore, I can go into Computer Management > Disk Management and see all the disk properties, even after the apparent failure of the hardware installation. The working card is reported as Samsung CF/ATA, and the two non-working CF cards are reported as Hitachi CVM1.1.1 and Sandisk SDCFB-16 respectively. All three use Microsoft 5.1.2535.0 driver.

With the one "working" card, I can permanently assign a different drive letter using Disk Management to avoid conflicts with other removeable and network drives. With the two "non-working" cards, they always revert to the next sequential drive letter, regardless of what drive letter I assign to them manually .

Is there a way to tell Windows to just accept the hardware that it finds, and not to invoke the New Hardware wizard? I could live with the inability to not assign a specific drive letter, but I find it really annoying that I must continually tell Windows to stop trying to install new hardware.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Thanks

Re: Ignore new hardware (compact flash) (XP Home SP-2)

Have you tried to look for new updated drivers for the devices?
    Have you looked in Device Manager to see if they are listed there without the "yellow flag" meaning trouble with the device?
    Can you disable "plug and play" in the BIOS?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ignore new hardware (compact flash) (XP Home SP-2)

I have tried the Device Manager -- it shows a yellow flag for the devices if I go thru the installation procedure and allow it to fail. However, if I choose the "Stop Installation" button on the dialog that Windows throws, then the device appears in Device Manager without a yellow flag. BUT if I check the Driver Details for the device, it says that no driver is installed. (yet the drive works perfectly)

Replacing the compact flash with the "working" one, I can see that the driver is supplied by Microsoft. Furthermore, it is reported as "non-signed" -- this is the very error that Windows complains about with the two non-working compact flashes.

Have checked thru the BIOS and cannot find any way to disable plug and play.

Have searched the Internet to no avail to find an updated driver for these compact flashes. But since the working driver is supplied by Microsoft Windows itself, I am unsure what else to look for.

Perplexed...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada