Star Lounger
    Thanks

OE ... won't send hotmail! (OE)

OK this is a problem with my Mums computer and we can't seem to find any answers to the problem. She can receive email from everyone & she can send email to anyone apart from a hotmail account ... any ideas as to why this could be?

She is on bt broadband but has continued to use the tesco.net email from her previous provider (from her old computer) I thought that this may have caused a problem but this started quite a while after she switched .... when she first changed ISP she was able to send to hotmail for months so I'm guessing that this is not causing the problem.

I can only think that she has blocked access to hotmail somehow ...but I haven't a clue what to do about it [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] She does have anti-virus (norton Symtec I think) but I don't think that there is a firewall on it.

Any offers would be great

xx

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: OE ... won't send hotmail! (OE)

Is there any error message, if so what ist it, or how is she sure that she can not send to a hotmail address?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK this is one of the error messages that she gets when she tries to send to hotmail

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'mtgrumpydog1@hotmail.com'. Subject 'oxford knee replacement', Account: 'Jean Castledine', Server: 'smtp.tesco.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relaying mail to hotmail.com is not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79ho

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Check the setting in the email account and put a check mark in the box near "My server requires Authentication"

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Dave

She just tried that and checked the box and says that it makes no difference [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sounds like she needs to start using the "bt" address to send her mail. Sooner or later the people at tesco.net will be blocking her use and it looks like they have blocked the sending.

From the tesco.net help section
    My email won't send. Error 550
    There are two main reasons why you might experience problems sending email:

1 You are not connecting to Tesco internet access when trying to send email. This will give an error code of 550 or 'Relaying mail is not allowed'.
    To resolve this problem, connect to Tesco internet access and try to send your email again.

2 The email address you are trying to send to is invalid or incorrect.
    Check the email address and then try to send the email again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that Dave ... I'll be sure to let her know. She has no problem sending email to any other address, it's just the hotmail ones.

thanks