New Lounger
    Thanks

Create date updates upon save (Word 2002)

I have a problem with a create date field. When a document is created from a template which contains a create date field and edited a few days later the create date field updates to today's date. I found what is causing the problem (I think) but not how to rectify it. The File, Properties, Statistics tab which mentions the date the document was created updates every time the document is modified. The print date in this statistics tab shows 1 week ago. We save all our documents in iManage desksite version 6.0.1a if this is of any help.

This also does not happen to every template or for every user and it is too random to work out which machines or for which people.

Regards

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Create date updates upon save (Word 2002)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Andrew Lockton on 21-Feb-05 16:36. I have looked up iManage website now.)</P>Is iManage desksite a content management system? Don't bother answering that question - Yes it is

It sounds like the doc management software is doing a File SaveAs on your files which is going to interfere with the usefulness of using a Createdate field. I would guess that the people who don't get this problem aren't saving their files into the CM software or perhaps they are locking that field after the first update.

Your likely workaround is to convert the field into hardcoded text (unlink the field) when the file is first saved and then it won't be able to update in the future. Alternatively, you could lock the field to avoid it updating when your doc management software releases another version for editing.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response Andrew and your workaround - unfortunately I can't use the workaround as I create the templates and therefore the date will need to appear in the letters as they are created. I have thought of another way to do this but again am at a loss as to how to manage this. I am pretty sure there use to be a switch that you could put into a template in a date field that would change it to static text once a new document was created. I cannot find any information on this anywhere. Maybe it only exists in older versions of word. I did read the <post#=23387>post 23387</post#> about inserting a field that will change to static but as I have very limited knowledge of vb cannot follow it. Perhaps someone remembers the switch that was placed in the date field.

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have never heard of such a switch and I'm pretty sure there isn't one in Word 2002.

I have attached a zip file with a very simple sample template. Open the zip file and extract the Demo.dot to any folder. Right-click the .dot file and select New from the popup menu. The current date will be placed in the page footer as static text.

This was done as follows:
    - At the location in the document (page footer in this case) where the date is to be inserted, select Insert | Bookmark..., typed CreateDate and click Add.
    - Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    - Double click ThisDocument in the left hand pane.
    - Type the following code:

Private Sub Document_New()
    ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("CreateDate").Range.Text = Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy")
    End Sub

- The date format can be modified to whatever you prefer.
    That's it!
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for that Hans. I can also stop trying to find this switch that does not exist.

Regards