2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network Yes - Internet No!

I am setting a network and one computer (XP PRO) will not access the internet. It sees the router and the other computers. I have tried it in two networks with both a wireless and cabled connection with exactly the same results.
    I cannot enable ICS/ FIREWALL . If I try to enable the service it just stops. and trying to enable the firewall settings from the networks advanced setup just says it can't start it.
    Is there something that needs to be reinstalled ? Where is it?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Yes - Internet No!

First - go back in to your original post and remove your email address - bad guys troll for addresses posted on forums so they can sell it to spammers.

You say it sees the router, can you enter the routers IP address in your browsers address box and access the router's menu system? If you can do that, you should be able to get out.

Is this on a home network? You might try bypassing the router and go straight into the cable/dsl modem - you will have to shut down your system and bring it back up to have the PC get a new IP (the one assigned to the router) assuming DHCP is used.

Don't use ICS or the Windows Firewall - they are only good during initial installation of the OS - get a 3rd party firewall such as ZoneAlarm or Sygate. They protect both incoming and outgoing access - Windows Firewall/ICF only protects incoming. Do not use 2 or more firewalls at once (the NAT firewall in the router is different and should be used too).

Also, make sure this system is clean of all malware - adware, viruses, Trojans, etc.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am coming back to complete my original posts.
    I took your suggestion and took out my Email. Most of what you suggested I had tried I ended spending time with microsoft. After unsuccessful diagnosis they walked me through deleting the registry settings for Winsock and Winsock2. Deleting the network card from the device manager and the tcp/ip protocol. Upon rebooting the Winsocks were recreated, the card was installed and reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol had everything back to normal.
    I never could have figured it out.
    It goes again my grain huge but ...'Thanks Microsoft'

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, winsock corruption errors have been around for years - so your MS tech should have been able to pick up on that - I am glad they were able to help.

Thanks for the reply.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────