3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

restoring data (OL @ Office 2003)

Created a backup.pst file from OL2003 before formatting HD, to kill spyware. It's a large file (55 Mb).
    Trying to import it back, but OL found it with errors
    Addressed me to scanpst.exe (which I located), and used. It repaired and created a backup and other files, with strange extensions.
    Now, I try to import again; still doesn't work.
    Wonder what I am doing wrong.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Daniel Rozenberg.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: restoring data (OL @ Office 2003)

In 2003 what steps are you taking to import it? You should be able to use File| Data Management to attach it, and also to detach any default PST that was created by your reinstall procedure - no import steps should be needed.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am typing this steps as I go along:
    I have a file named backup.pst
    I open OL2003 and in File > Import/Export, I select Import from another program or file > Next.
    Scroll to Personal Folder File, > Next.
    At File to import I browse to file location and also mark "Replace Duplicates" > Next
    At Select Folders to Import from , I highlight Personal Folders (leave mark in include subfolders). Also mark Import items into the current folder; having below "Personal Folders" in the window. Then, I click Finish.
    After two seconds I get message: Could not complete operation. One or more parameters are not valid.
    The version of OL2033 is the same program I used before the HD formatting.
    I tried also with a renamed copy of backup, which called Outklook.pst . NO luck.
    Please help to recover all mails and addresses of last two years !!!.
    Thanks in advance.

Daniel Rozenberg

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

BTW, reformatting your hard drive to kill spyware is a bit extreme; if you have good virus protection, and use a combination of Microsoft's antispyware beta, Ad-Aware SE, and CWShredder, you should not need to reformat your hard drive; for details on these antispyware products, search the Spyware - Antivirus - Safe Computing Forum.

Back to Outlook. Can you open the backup file using File | Data File Management? If not post back the problem/error message and ignore the rest of my post that follows.

Is your default active PST very new, does it contain a lot of data? If your present active PST file is the new one created by default when you reinstalled Office and Outlook, you are better off resetting things so that your old PST file becomes your primary PST file. Try the following steps (some of this is from memory as I don't have access to 2003 at present, rather I have access to XP, where menus differ you'll have to figure out some of the exact commands in these steps):

1. Move (or copy) your 'old' PST to the location you prefer to keep your primary PST.

2. Open the 'old' PST File via File | Data File Management | Add | Browse to the 'old' PST, OK. The file should be show as open in 2003 if you use Folder view in the Navigation Pane.

3. Select Tools | Options | Mail Setup | E-Mail Accounts | View or Change | Next, then set the old PST as the file to direct your mail to. Send yourself a test e-mail to make sure that messages are now delivered in your 'old' PST.

4. Copy (this can be tedious if there's a lot of data uin the 'new' PST) all your recent messages, contacts, meetings, etc. from your 'new' PST to your 'old' PST.

5. Right click on the 'new' PST and select Close. Close and reopen Outlook, it should reopen with the 'old' PST and all your data, and it should be the PST where your messages are delivered.

I've done this myself after an XP OS machines password hash table got corrupted and we had to do a complete recovery.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,
    Thanks for your reply. I will try it tonight and see what happens.
    BTW, when repairing the file, scanpst.exe created a log file which lists a lot of trials to correct abnormalities, so I also believe the file might be corrupted.
    If so, I am planning the following:
    Before reformatting, I also made a backup of C drive.
    I will backup whatever I have now (new), since reformatting (about your question: no; didn't download anything from server awaiting to retrieve "past history and contacts"), and restore OLD C backup.
    I things go Ok, will open OLD OL2003, copy messages to other folders in partitions outside C, as well as contact addresses, and then restore the just created backup of new configuration. BTW I don't know how to export ONLY addresses from OL.
    I know it will be tedious and cumbersome, but it's the last thing I can do to rescue data.
    If you have any advice against my coming plan above, please let me know before (second) catastrophe.
    Thanks again, and best regards.

Daniel Rozenberg.

PS: Downloaded beta of Microsoft spyware. It seems OK. I had Ad Aware 6.0, so I upgraded. I also have Spybot, which seems Ok. Hope all that helps for the future.