5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vanishing toolbars (Word 2003)

I've upgraded from Office XP to 2003. In Word, as some custom dialogs (user forms) display, the Standard and Formatting tool bars become completely grey. As soon as the dialog is closed, the icons are again visible.

The dialogs in question have something in common... they all are part of macros that are immediately under a customized menu bar item "Macros." Macros that run from a submenu under Macros don't have this problem.

I remember with Word 2000, if a macro was launched from immediately beneath a menu item and it contained a custom dialog, Word displayed a (nonsense) error message as the application (Word) was exited. Once moved to a submenu, there was no longer a problem.

Short of moving these macro to someplace I don't want them, is there anything that can be done? (If I run the macro from Alt-F8, I generally do not have the problem.)

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Thanks

Re: Vanishing toolbars (Word 2003)

I don't have Word 2003 handy at the moment, but I wonder... Is this a problem because they are nonmodal userforms and the user needs access to the Standard and Formatting toolbars before the dialog is dismissed, or is it more of an annoyance?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mostly an annoyance. My fear, of course, is that at some point the icons won't reappear.... or that they will reappear in one document window and not others.

Richard

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had a hunch, and gave it a try.... with interesting results. I created two custom toolbars, RB-Standard and RB-Formatting. I copied all of the controls from Word's Standard and Formatting toolbars to the corresponding custom toolbars. I then hid the native Word bars, and displayed my custom toolbars. The icons did not become grey when the macros ran with the dialogs.

It seems to me that this is a display issue, and one of my colleagues recalls a thread about this on LawNet, but I couldn't find it. I tested the problem, without my custom toolbars, on several PCs, and it varies in scope from PC to PC.

Disappearing toolbars occured in Word 97 when PCDocs was installed as the DMS. After opening the 34th or 35th document in a Word session (it was that precise), the standard toolbar turned grey... and did not revive unless Word was closed and re-started. That's when I came up with the custom version of Standard toolbar as the fix. MS said they could not duplicate the problem, but I know of 6 or 8 law firms in NY where this was an issue.

Richard