Star Lounger
    Thanks

problems with styles and formatting (word 2003)

Please help me with the following formatting/style problems that happen frequently.
    1. Why would a style change when I did not modify it and did not allow word (I thought) to modify my styles.
    My styles are changed unexplicably, even though my setting ( I thought) did not allow word to make style changes (I have unchecked (under tools--> options and tools--> autoformat )- keep track of formatting and define styles based on your formatting, and I have checked "prompt to update styles"
    - YET when I closed my file yesterday the formatting was fine - when I opened it today all the bullets were changed from symbols to numbers - my outline bullet style (which I have used successfully for a long time, and had symbols) was changed to numbers and all the outline bullets in my document were changed to numbers. Yesterday this happened when I copied an excel chart into my word document, but i used the smart tag and changed everything back and it worked fine after that (until I opened the file this am)
    2. Why does word add more text to my styles and how can I prevent this e.g. Heading 1 has been changed to: Heading 1 Char1,Heading 1 Char Char, heading 1 char etc. - it keeps going on and on. Is there something I am doing that is corrupting the styles?

Please tell me what I can do so that styles don't just change out of control. Thank you very much.
    A very exasperated,
    Doris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: problems with styles and formatting (word 2003)

About problem # 2: see <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/excerpt/wdhks_1/index.html?page=2">Clean Out Linked

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans - I appreciate your response - but I am not super technical - and i am not sure how to implement the macro(s) in the hack. Do I just do
    1. tools--> macro --> create macro and then copy both sets of code where the cursor is blinking?? -
    2. if I get it to work is this a macro I should add to the normal template and run it periodically ??
    3. Do you know why bullets should change drastically to a number from a symbol form? - or is this related to the style problem fixed by this macro?? Thanks
    Doris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Doris,

You can do the following:
    - Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    - Click on Normal in the left hand pane.
    - Create a new module (Insert | Module)
    - Copy the code from the first set into the module.
    - Click somewhere in Sub DeleteCharCharStyles.
    - Press F5 to run the macro.
    - Switch back to Word (Alt+F11) to inspect your document.

The second set of code is a variant that keeps character formatting. If you want to use it, copy it into the same module, or into a new module. Click somewhere in Sub DeleteCharCharStylesKeepFormatting to run the macro.

Since you pasted the code into a module in Normal.dot, you can run it again if the problem reappears.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what could cause your bullets/numbering problem. Let's hope someone else can help with that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

hans - thanks, i will try the first macro - i did not realize i did not need the second macro.

Doris