New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to install security updates (WinXP Home Edition 2002 w/ SP 2)

For some reason I cannot install SP3 for the MS .NET Framework 1.0. The Windows update utility happily installed this SP on my other computers, but for some reason it won't work on this one. Every time I've attempted to run this SP on this machine I get an error message generated by some .TMP file or another (the name varies). I've even downloaded the file and tried to install it myself, manually, but to no avail.

This seems to happen regardless of whether I have any other programs running on this machine or not! I've tried turning off the Firewall and Virus software (Norton 2005) and everything else I can think of.

This refers to MSKB886906.

Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Unable to install security updates (WinXP Home Edition 2002 w/ SP 2)

I had a problem with a .NET 1.1 update that installed just fine on most machines but on several machines it was only resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling .NET then installing the patch. If you have the .NET 1.0 package you might try the uninstall/reinstall.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to install security updates (WinXP Home

I see that I have the .NET 1.1 installed, but don't find a .NET 1.0. Maybe the problem is that the .NET 1.0 SP3 is trying to update something I don't have on my computer?

I'll uninstall .NET 1.1 and see what happens....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Unable to install security updates (WinXP Home

No need to uninstall .NET 1.1 - if you do Windows Update will just recommend that you install the 23 MB download again. More than one version of .NET can co-exist on the same PC. Did you find out that you don't have .NET 1.0 by looking in Add/Remove programs?

Joe
    Joe