New Lounger
    Thanks

repeating text in tables (2000)

we are trying to create a form in word to be used by over 500 clients who have varying levels of expertise in ms word. The table in question has three fields that i attempted to bookmark and then reference using a field code of "REF". the problem occurs that when i change the word i am using to store the bookmark, the bookmark disappears after i hit "F9". If the field is blank when I name it, the formatting changes dramatically when I reference it in its appropriate places. I am not a real big code head when it come to MS word but I am trying here. anybody have any solutions out there

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: repeating text in tables (2000)

Have you tried form fields from the Forms toolbar? They must be in a section of the document protected for forms. A form field automatically has an associated bookmark (you can view and edit the bookmark name by double clicking a form field while the document is unprotected.), so you can refer to it elsewhere using REF fields. If you tick the Calculate on Exit check box in the properties of the form field, all references to the form field will be updated automatically when the user tabs out of the form field.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think the problem you are encountering is due to the way you are replacing the word that is defined by the bookmark. If you select the word and delete it and then type in a new word then the bookmark will have collapsed to enclose nothing at the start of the new word. If you select inside the the existing word, type the new word and then delete the remnants of the old word from both ends then the bookmark will include the new word so the updates will work as expected. To verify this behaviour, you check your bookmarks settings under Tools > Options > View so you can see the otherwise invisible bookmark brackets.

Now another way to do this without the shortcomings of using bookmarks is to use a StyleRef Field instead of a Ref field. If your word is the only element in the document that uses that particular style then the styleref field is a lot easier to work with.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

maybe i am a dolt but when i try to do either of theses suggestions, i either get no result (the bookmarks are wiped out in the form or error messages (style ref) when i update...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since you replied to yourself, it is not clear whether you are reacting to my reply or that by Andrew.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Does this thread help your understanding at all.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia