4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Repair Database Message (2000)

Hi,
    I have a database that is used between 2 different areas. PA & VA. On the VA side it works very slow, meaning it can sometimes take 2-3 minutes to open a simple form. The PA site works fast and everything is ok. The VA side doesn't use it as often as the PA side, but it seems that when VA is in using the database PA has trouble. Meaning, today I'm working in a query and all of a sudden I get "unrecognizable database format "databasename"" error message so when I close out and then try to get back in it tells me the db needs to be repaired. A VA person was in the database. I've gotten that same problem 2 times so far and each time the VA person was in it. Before the VA person started using it I was in for 3 hours and never had a problem. Any thoughts? I'm thinking that because it takes them so long to open forms and such that that some how corrupts the database. One: I'm not sure why it's so slow and Two: why that would cause a problem.
    Thanks,
    Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Repair Database Message (2000)

Both the slowness and the corruption point to a connection problem. Access is extremely sensitive to network hickups (much more so than for example Word and Excel) - it will corrupt a database at the drop of a packet. Could you have someone check the connection to Virginia?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm doing that now. I kinda thought that might be the problem. Thanks for confirming.
    Deb

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have another question that may go to this problem as well. The database resides on a server at my location in PA and is the server is running 2000 and the desktops are running 2000. In VA they have access to the server through a shared drive and their desktops are running 2002. Can that cause a problem with some of the coding? I came in this morning and I getting some wierd messages and I have compacted and repaired several times. Some of the messages are Module not found.... - there was an error executing the command....
    Thanks,
    Deb

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think this is all related and I've compacted and repaired several times and today I'm getting this: some forms will open, others will not, the ones that don't open I get the "module not found message" or nothing at all happens. Is there anything I can do other than compact and repair or a backup. I have a backup but the person in charge of that won't be around until Monday. So I was hoping there was something I could do today.
    Thanks,
    Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can try the following:
    - Decompile the database (see <post#=44865>post 44865</post#> for details).
    - Compile the code.
    - Compact and repair the database.

You can also create a new blank database and import all database objects from the problem database into it. don't forget to set the startup options again (Tools | Startup...) and, if necessary, non-standard references (Tools | References... in the Visual Basic Editor).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You can try Jetcomp.
    See ACC2000: Jet Compact Utility Available in Download Center

Is this a splitted db ?
    It would be better to put a back-end on the server and provide a front-end to every user (in VA end PA).
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have the latest service pack for 2000 on all your 2000 machines? If not, and if your front end is on the server, then yes, the 2002 machines can be causing your problems. Access 2002 installed a vbe6.dll that caused problems with the code containers in 2000 version apps. O2k SP3 contained a patch for that problem.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It looks like I have SR-1 on mine pc, and most should have the same, it's a govt facility and usually all our pcs are the same. It also looks like there's another service pack SR-1a. The network person isn't in today so I'll have to wait until Monday to find out. But the database is on a 2000 server and it is not split at this time. It looks like I'll have to go that route though. I tried the decompile, but I don't have rights to add to the registry, so once again I have to wait until Monday.

Thanks a ton for your suggestions!!!
    Deb

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, I finally tried the decompile assuming I set it up correct, when I run the decompile I get the message Module not found and when I click OK it takes me to this code:
    Option Compare Database

Private Sub Detail_Print(Cancel As Integer, PrintCount As Integer)
    Call DrawBoxes(Me)
    End Sub

Private Sub Report_Close()
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmDialogOverdueParts", acSaveNo
    DoCmd.OpenForm "Switchboard"
    End Sub

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is a particular line in that code highlighted when you get the error message?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The machines running Office 2000 MUST have the SP3 installed to prevent the XP machines from breaking the code containers. SP1a shows up as SP1 in About, if I remember correctly.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, the cursor just blinks in front of the Option Compare database line.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My guess is that this is related to the problem Charlotte mentioned with conflicting versions of vbe6.dll. The code module may have become corrupted.

Getting the correct service pack installed on all Access 2000 PC's is the first priority. Then, try to repair the database, or copy all data into a non-corrupt backup copy.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the response. I've emailed our network people to upgrade to SP3 so hopefully this will fix the problem. I found out we're scheduled to be ugraded to XP here in a few weeks so hopefully this won't be an issue after that.

Thanks a ton.
    Deb