3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost File CWBMW400.PST (Outlook 2000)

What's a CWBMW400.PST? I got a distress call from a coworker. Not only is the CWBMW400.PST file not found, but neither is a username.pst. Search results from Microsoft Explorer find a differentusername.pst dated last November. When I search for CWBMW400.PST on my own pc, I see this monster file of 158 megs, dated last August under C:WINNT.

I'd like to know what I can do to help my co-worker, how can the file be prevented from disappearing again, is there a way to back-up CWBMW400.PST, what's CWBMW400.PST for, why is CWBMW400.PST so big, what is a good backup plan for Outlook?

Answers to some, most or all of these questions is greatly appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost File CWBMW400.PST (Outlook 2000)

I must confess that I have never heard of a CWBMW400.PST in the C:WINNT folder (or C:WINDOWS folder) - let alone any PST file.

Is it possible that this may have been some kind of system setup created by your employer's IT dept? Perhaps they did a local backup as part of a system-wide upgrade last August?

What shows up if you try File|Open|PST file and then navigate to C:WINNTCWBMW400.PST? Does that enable you to see a snapshot of how your own PST file was at that time?

HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The CWBMW400.PST in my C:Windows folder is a typical (near as I can tell) PST file. It creates a Personal folder and sub-folders. Its contents all appear to be from 2001. It's a huge file, which, after having peeked a someone else's mail, I have no need for. But the real reason I'm here in Woody's forum today is beause a co-worker is getting an error message because CWBMW400.PST does not exist (somewhere on her pc). Any other clues?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Let me put this another way.

All the documentation I have ever seen indicates that a PST file is an End User data file. In other words, Outlook requires a PST file to operate, but - as long as the file is not very seriously corrupted or (pre-Outlook 2003) bigger than 2Gb - it doesn't matter whatsoever what the PST file is named nor whether it is empty or very full.

What are reporting seems to suggest that your company has some kind of customised Outlook set-up that requires this (seemingly archive) PST to operate.

Has your colleague tried copying his existing PST file, renaming it CWBMW400.PST, placing it in his C:Windows (or C:Winnt) folder and then starting Outlook?

HTH
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you describe in a bit more detail the co-workers problem? Does the error message arise when Outlook is started up, or at some other point? What is the specific message, and what happens (messages etc.) if he/she attempts to OK through the error messages? Was this co-worker running any disk utilities or scanpst.exe immediately prior to the problem? Has his/her user profile been changed?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So I had this file and my Outlook works, Nancy didn't have this file and her Outlook didn't work. That and the cryptic spelling of the filename CWBMW400.PST with the 400 (perhaps a version number I thought) made me believe that this was some system or application file. No wonder, I reasoned, her Outlook doesn't work . . . . she's missing the 400 file! DUH!
    To test I set up a new Personel Folder, using some cryptic name (which I wrote down so I could find later) and even saved it to C:WinNT. Nancy's CWBMW400.PST is nowhere on her pc so we don't know what happened. Thanks to what I have learned here I have deleted that fat file (CWBMW400.PST) on my own pc. I wonder why we (our company or its IT department) used the same filename and not some realusername?

One last thing then: The PST looks like it is the storage container for all of my Outlook stuff; Contacts, Inbox, Sent Items, Calendar and whatever else. So if I want to back up my Outlook, I need only to backup this one file, correct?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

My best guess is that the IT dept tried to think up a name that they could use on all PCs - which meant something to them but was unlikely to be already in use. They probably chose the Winnt folder to park it in as being on all systems but unlikely to already be in use for storage. That way, they could run the routine and be virtually certain that they weren't going to wreck somebody's exisiting data store.

>One last thing then: The PST looks like it is the storage container for all of my Outlook stuff; Contacts, Inbox, Sent Items, Calendar and whatever else. So if I want to back up my Outlook, I need only to backup this one file, correct?

Correct! (As long as you're not referring to custom shortcuts in your Outlook Bar, "nicknames" (a.k.a. Address auto-fill), toolbar customisations or Rules - which are kept in other files)
    Gre