3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ms firewall (XP SR2)

Can the XP SR2 firewall and or popup blocker be removed? I am still having my connection problem and I remember way back when, I had a connection problem due to McAfee firewall on one W98 machine. Though I had it turned off, I had to remove it to get my connection back. I wonder if the same holds true for the MS firewall? Even though I have it turned off, could it still be lurking in the background - messing with my connection? Thanks.
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: ms firewall (XP SR2)

They can NOT be removed, but turned off. However you will need to run a third part firewall, or else the MS one can kick back on. For reasons known one MUST be running a firewall, and the public has demanded that MS protect them (it is MS's fault that one gets hacked), so the code is such that you will have a firewall.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

As Dave said about the firewall, so it is with the IE popup blocker. It can be turned off but not removed. The MS firewall has two distinct sets of rules. One for booting and another for normal operation after booting. With the MS firewall I pretty sure that when you turn it off you are disabling the normal post-boot operation. The initialization/boot operation which protects you much earlier than is normally possible is still operative.

And to re-inforce what Dave said, even if you disable the MS firewall be sure to run some third party firewall.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was afraid of that. I will reformat and go back to XP SR1 where I never had any problems. Thanks for the answer.

Administrator
    Thanks

You're welcome. What is the problem exactly? But remember before you go backwards, that the problem may be with third party software not being SP-2 compliant and not SP-2 itself. Have you checked Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My problem is after I visit any where from 2 to 5 pages on the net I will get a "page not found" screen. And that is it. The only way to continue browsing is to reboot the computer. Once I get that message I am dead. My eudora email won't work either once that message comes on IE. It's like the connection is gone and I need a reboot to continue. Last night it was real bad. I was unable to download an update to spybot or ad aware because the 2nd page wouldn't load and the download wouldn't start. I don't have any third party software running other than Fprot virus checker. And I have had the same problem with that program gone. No problems with other computers (win 98) on the lan. I took the laptop in question to a motel with a high speed connection and the problem came along.

Administrator
    Thanks

Jack,

Did you see Dave's question in <post#=455756>post 455756</post#>? Laptops are notoriously pciky about large updates. The OEMs ususally post information about driver and other software updates for something as big as a service pack. Back in October, I created <post#=414489>post 414489</post#> and you said you would check it out. Did you ever do that?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Also are you running any "Search Toolbars" such as Google, Yahoo and etc?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,
    I'm a little confused. When I click on the post numbers in your email I get 2 posts that I made. All I found on the Toshiba support web site was instructions for removing SR2. No updates or drivers. I wonder if they are telling me something?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I never did run any toolbars. I did have a popup blocker but I uninstalled it to see if it was causing the problems. In fact I uninstalled just about everything I thought could cause the problem such as the virus protection program ect.