New Lounger
    Thanks

Font issues in Excel (2003)

Extraordinary problem: I am using Excel to design a form which will be downloaded from a website or completed online. I want to use a specific font (Futura BdCn). This is not a default windows font. When someone else opens that form and Futura is not installed on his machine the font changes to Arial. Ideally I would like to have an applet which copies the font file, Futura.ttf into his c:windowsfonts folder (with a prompt asking him whether this is OK off course). Otherwise I would just like to change the font that Excel reverts to from Arial to something else (something else would be a default windows font that is more similar to Futura and therefore I won't lose much of the formatting). Please help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Font issues in Excel (2003)

Why make it so hard on yourself? Sticking to the standard Windows fonts is much easier, and less likely to cause problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Because it's boring. And off course things like corporate image and so forth. Nevermind the first part of the question - I took a long shot. But can I change the font that Excel reverts to, to something other than Arial?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Windows stores the font substitutions to be used in the Windows Registry. On my Windows XP machine, they can be found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionFontSubstitutes. There is a value named Helvetica, for example, with value "Arial", meaning that Helvetica (which is not installed) will be displayed as Arial. You could add a font substitution to the registry, either by using Windows API code or by letting the user import a .reg file. I have attached a sample .reg file, with the extension renamed to .txt so that you can view it easily.
    Note: on Windows 9x/ME PC's, the WindowsNT in the registry path above must probably be replaced with Windows.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent. That's why I use this site. Thanks Hans.