Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Digitial certificates have expired

HI

background:
    We have the document management system that supplied us with their excel add-ins & word templates. Their templates just plug into office & display menus to intergrate with OfficeXP & the document management system.

my question is:
    whos responsibility is it to renew the signatures? i spoke to the document management system programmer & he really isnt aware of anything? or do i chase it up. they didnt provide me with any information regarding their digitial signatures?

diana

They have placed digitial signatures on their word templates. Now when I use their menus the warning message is displayed 'The macro could not be found or has been disabled because of your Macro security settings;'.

There have been no changes since the installation of the new document management system. ie there have been no amendments to their templates code or the templates location.

it was suggested that the digitial signatures on their word templates had expired, therefore disabling the code.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Digitial certificates have expired

Two things to try:

1. Select Tools | Templates and Add-Ins... If there are unchecked items, tick their check boxes and click OK. If Word returns a macro security warning, check the box for "Always trust macros from this source" and then "Enable macros." Close Word, and then start Word again.

2. Select Tools | Macro | Security... Activate the Trusted Sources tab. Make sure that 'Trust all installed add-ins and templates' is ticked, then click OK.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Theory:

When a project has been digitally signed by a vendor, the signature stays intact as long as no-one makes changes to the code in the project (template in your case).
    If the owner of the code makes the changes on the machine that holds his/her digital signature, it will be reapplied as long as it is still valid.

A signed file will NOT expire, after expiration of the certificate, the owner cannot apply a signature to new or changed files.

So if you have made any change at all to the VBA and subsequently save the template, the signature is removed and you get what you have described.

Practice:

There are some bugs around that may affect the digital signature of a project even though the project hasn't been changed.
    One of them is the recovery feature of Excel xp.

See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810721
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313240
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

hi jan

thankyou for that, that was very informative.

i amended the word template when the app was 1st installed in dec 2003. it has been working ok in all offices up until recently. i haven't made any changes to the template since. in my office the code is disabled. however in the other states the code is working ok?

diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Diana,

Nothing you have said so far has convinced me that you are dealing with an expired certificate. Can you try these steps to check:
    <UL><LI>Open one of the suspect templates
    <LI>Type Alt-F11 to get to the Visual Basic Environment
    <LI>In the top left window (Project) make sure that this template is selected
    <LI>From the Tools Menu choose Digital Signature...
    <LI>The top of the window that is displayed will have the name of the certificate, and a Detail... button
    <LI>Click the Detail... button
    <LI>Do you see a message saying "This certificate has expired or is not yet valid" ?
    <LI>What are the start and end dates displayed for the certificate?[/list]StuartR

PS Last time I saw this error, it was because I had moved the template to a new folder, and the toolbar button still pointed to the old location. It really did mean "this Macro cannot be found"
    SR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

hi stewart

it was the orginial vendor that mentioned the expired certificate. i didnt really know much about certification til now.

i did what you requestd on the vendors template> the result is the Digitial Signature window is displayed - with details [No Certifcate]

diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If there is no certificate then it sounds like you have a different problem.

When do you get the error message?

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Stewart

The vendors template is in our global template. and when Word starts the vendors template loads & displays the menus 'Insert DM Hyperlink'
    When I goto the Word menu Insert>Insert DM Hyperlink> the message '...disabled macros...' is displayed

pls see screen dump. im just stepping thru the vendor word template code to see if i can capture anything
    diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is starting to sound suspiciously like the problem I described in my post, where the toolbar button was disconnected from the Macros - have you moved any templates or renamed any folders or servers recently?

What happens if you try Tools > Macros, select "Insert DM Hyperlink" macro, and Run it?

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hey Stewart

when i goto Tools>Macros> i cant locate the Insert DM Hyperlink macro in either the 'specific global template'or in 'All active documents and templates'

no i havent moved templates or renamed folders. but now that you mentioned it our main server went down that stores the templates. the guys had to get a new hard disk for the server & obtain backups of everything that was on that server including the templates. i wonder if this had anything to do with this?

i'll did a search on your post re:'the toolbar button was disconnected from the Macros', but couldnt find it. can you please send me a link - many thanks

diana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart is offline at the moment. The thread he referred to starts at <post#=454189>post 454189</post#>. I posted a document with a custom toolbar, and both mary-jane (the original poster in that thread) and Stuart got an error message because apparently link between the toolbar button and the macro had become broken.

Can you check whether the add-in (global template) for the document management system is loaded at all? Select Tools | Templates and Add-Ins... and inspect the list of Global templates. Only checked items are active.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

thanks hans

ive manged to locate the code. 2 word templates were provided by the vendor. 1 template contains the code to load all its menus> i was looking in this template (seems only logical) , however the 'Insert DM Hyperlink 'menu was in the other template.
    when our local main server went down they had to do a restore. the script/NAL job to copy down the templates from the main server to the users local C:drives was a really old version. & didnt include these 2 vendor files...mystery solved :-)

without discussing this issue on this forum i never would have never got to the bottom of it. you pointed me in the right direction.

many thanks to you all...diana :-)
    ps. this is a superb forum