2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access crashes when IE opens (2003 SP1)

White space removed from screenshot by HansV

I have an .mdb that has a fairly complex form with a tab control containing 11 tabs on it. On most of the tabs are subforms. Two of these subforms contain another subform. When the focus is on one of the tabs with nested subforms and the user opens Internet Explorer, Access crashes and issues a "needs to close" message.
    Opening a .pdf file while viewing one of these subforms also causes Access to crash.
    The form resides in a 2003 front-end on each user's local machine, while the back-end is in 2000 format on a network file server, although I even tested moving the back-end to the local hard drive and the problem persists.
    Are there any workarounds? I have scoured Microsoft's site and have not found anything helpful.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access crashes when IE opens (2003 SP1)

The dreded send an error report to Microsoft message
    I have had the same problem as you are having with the same scenario. I did some considerable research and what was the ultimate solution (though I am not sure how it is realated) was to take all the calculated expression on the form, and subforms and put them into modules and call them into the form. I had the very same thing with a multiple tab form containing subforms and subforms within subforms. Problem came up last year, took me about a month to resolve, but the solution I used had held for almost a year now. I was using Access XP front and back end. Don't know if this will help your problem, but at least you have more information. Microsoft was no help at all and I did the same thing you did by scouring their web site.
    Carla

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. It seems to crash only when the focus is on one of the two subforms that have a nested subform, so I'm testing a technique of switching focus to one of the single-level subforms as soon as IE or Adobe Acrobat has been opened. So far, in testing, it seems to work, but I don't like the idea of having to add this overhead to an already complex form.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Another thing you might try if you haven't already is to dynamically link your subforms when your form loads. That is, set the subform property for any subform controls on a tab at the point where the tab is made active. It will reduce the load time for your form, and it seems to make Access think the form is less complex. Also a question - I gather you are opening IE or Adobe from Access - is that being done with a shell command, clicking on a hyperlink, or through Automation?
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,
    I have recently changed to dynamically link the subforms as each tab/subform combination gains focus. I also delink subforms as the tabs they reside on lose focus by changing the subform's SourceObject to a minimal, single control (label) form. This change did help somewhat, as the application would crash when focus was on most of the tabs whenever IE opened; since the dynamic link of subforms the crashes seem limited to the tabs that have nested subforms.
    The opening of IE and Adobe is being done outside of Access, there are no shell commands, etc. being used. This makes the crashes even harder to figure (at least for me) because Access doesn't have the focus when the crash occurs.