3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Usual - PC's Can't See One Another

Hi Everyone,

Trying to set up a home network, but so far, unsuccessfully. Here are the components.

Main desktop - WinXP Home, Dell 8100, hardline to the Router, USB printer attached to PC
    Router - Linksys BEFW11S4, Wireless w 4 port switch, 802.11b
    Son's PC - Homebuilt, WinXP Home, connected via USB Linksys network adapter WUSB54G, 802.11g

Son's PC can access the internet just fine, but cannot see anything under network places. The main desktop can see the name of son's PC under network places, but cannot connect with it. Given error message indicating lack of authority. Personal firewalls are turned off on both machines at the moment. I am a little nervious about that, but believe the router serves as the primary firewall. Was told that there are web sites out there that will test such a system and report back results. If anyone knows of such, would like to get the link.

I have read several of the posts on problems such as this and some of the MS KB articles, but so far, I have been unable to get this set up. The primary purpose is so son can print to the family printer.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Douglas

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 890 Posts

Re: The Usual - PC's Can't See One Another

Douglas,

This is a good starting point: Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP. After you've looked there, please post more detailed information on exactly what you have tried.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: The Usual - PC's Can't See One Another

While you're checking Joe's recommended link, one place to check your "security" is here: <A target="_blank" HREF="https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2">Shields UP!