Lounger
    Thanks

Network Printer help?

I have a two computer home network with Win XPpro SP2 on the one machine and the second is a laptop with Win 98SE. I have a HP Deskjet 722c connected to the XP machine via the LPT1 port. The network functions OK for file sharing.
    When I try to add a network printer to the laptop, I get to the point where I have to pick a driver, the list of available drivers skips the 700 series entirely.
    I went through the process of adding a win98 driver on the XP machine but the driver I downloaded from HP for Win98 seems to require me to open an exe to install the driver. I don't want to overwrite the XP driver files by doing this.
    There are some INF files in some of the folders in the driver install set but I don't know which INF or if any of the INF files, alone are enough to serve as a driver for this situation.
    Browsing the HP site it says that the 722c is not a network printer. Does this mean that there are no network drivers written for this model?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Printer help?

I've typically setup the peer-to-peer printer sharing in the following manner.

1. <LI>Setup printer on Host PC (you've done this)
      <LI>enable printer sharing (you've done this)
      <LI>Setup printer on remote PC as if it was locally connected.
      <LI>Once setup, access the printer properties, and change the port to the correct location. Note, you may have to 'map' a network address to do this.
    When I've mapped older OSes such as Windows98, I'll use LPT8 or LPT9 mapped to the network address (such as hostpcshared_printer).
    Christopher Baldrey

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

First, HPs comment that the 722c is not a network printer only means that it does not have built-in network capability.

You said that on the XP machine, the network function OK for file sharing. So I assume you have Printer and File Sharing turned on, which is correct.

You are trying to add a "Shared Printer", not a network printer - I hope that helps as I am afraid I don't remember how to do that in 98 - some one might need to step in and add guidance there. (Edited: Oops - I see Chris just did!)

Do you have a Router? D-Link offers a sweet little 4-Port router with a built in Print server for around $60 here - I have used this in several setups with great success. The advantage is that you do not have share with another computer - meaning your XP machine does not even have to be powered on for you to print from your laptop, or from any other computer on your network. The second advantage is the NAT firewire in the router - a very good thing.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Chris and Bill for the suggestions. I'll see about mapping the network this evening. I'll let you know how I make out.

Lounger
    Thanks

I installed the printer drivers to the laptop machine and set the properties up with LPT8 as the port and identified (mapped?) the printer as per the attached screenprint. When I attempted to print a simple test using notepad, I got a printing error saying to check my configuration in the control panel. When I installed the printer drivers, I did not physically connect the printer to the desktop. Would this cause problems with the correct installation of the drivers?
    In a previous post on network printing, reference was made to the guest account being turned on on the host XP machine. Does this mean the guest account must be logged in as well as the administrator account for printing to work or does this not apply to my situation? If it does apply how do I do this.
    Thanks for your patience in this undertaking. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Your settings appear to be correct on the Win98 box. On the XP box, ensure that the printer is setup to allow EVERYONE print access.
    Christopher Baldrey

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Chris, I really thought this was the answer. Going to sharing (security) only the administrator was checked. I checked "everybody" and went back to try a test and got the error message again. Tried turning off both 98 ZA and XP Norton firewalls. Same error. Tried capturing the port (everything was in upper case in the capture screen on the 98 machine while the info on the XP machine was lower case) changed that and rebooted both machines. Same error. In the error message it identifies (HP DeskJet 720C v10.3) while in the setup on both machines the printer name is deskjet722C. Should this make a difference or is it just identifying the driver version on the 98 machine it is attempting to use?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If I remember correctly, the 720C / 722C are really just different names for the same device, or versions thereof. I've seen at work 920 / 922 naming combinations in the same fashion.

I just thought about something, but I can't point directly to anything (graphically) as I don't have printers available to me. I think there might be something to specify the user(s) such as win98pcuser1 as a valid printer user.

Can anyone else suggest something?
    Christopher Baldrey