3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Registry Edit (XP Pro SP1)

Win XP Pro, need to remotely edit the registry to disable Java Console. Policies make it impossible for a standard user to set the Internet Explorer option such as "advanced" where the Java settings are enabled or disabled. Even a technical user with local admin equivalency can not on a standard machine toggle these settings. A technical user on a technical machine can do this.

We have found that adding sites to the trusted sites list must be done via remote registry and changing the Java settings is the same.

What I'd like to do is easily determine which of the registry hives is being used by the "current user" but when we remotely connect from our machines we see as many as 8 or more user hives depending upon how many different people have logged in on the machine.

Is there a way to correlate the users' IDs to the wonderfully cryptic registry hives or do we have to edit the default user, then each different user hive in turn?

Alternatively, we could connect to the drive's share and rename all the other user profile's user.dat so the remote registry session would not load anything but the default user and the user we need to change. Maybe???

Thanks,

Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remote Registry Edit (XP Pro SP1)

You may be able to do something by navigating to HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionProfileList

On my systems the ProfileImagePath under these keys give me a username for each entry. You can also see the SID, if you have an easy way to translate this to a username.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much. I will investigate and report back. Your help is appreciated as I move more into the area of remote support and the challenges and possibilities it brings my way.

-Jester

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Worked like a charm! Did not need to use Winternals PSGETSID or the MS GETSID utilities.

Thanks,

-Jester