New Lounger
    Thanks

Unstable scrolling (OE6 XP SP2)

I have reinstalled Windows after a system crash and find scroll bars in OE auto scroll about 4 times before settling down. e.g. Switching identities or Customise toolbar buttons. Not until this scrolling finishes can I use the mouse. Everything else in OE or Windows in general works no problem.

This is not a major problem but does anybody know what is causing it ? - it didn't happen before the reinstall

Thank you - Bill R

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unstable scrolling (OE6 XP SP2)

This could be a mouse driver issue. Have you checked that possibility? Are you saying that you do not have the same issue in IE? HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello unkamunka.

I dont get the problem with IE or any other program - only OE. The scrolling in say, Customise toolbar buttons, does it's own thing several times before it settles to select with the mouse. - Most strange.

Bill R

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Was your Windows reinstall acomplished by choosing Repair in the Windows install routine? Have you by any chance made any new downloads or added any helper utility programs to your installation recently?

BTW: Welcome to the Lounge!
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried the Repair routine after the crash but to no avail. The hard drive failed - a Western Digital installed by Dell - so I replaced it and installed Windows XP from scratch with the updates SP2 etc. Other than the Windows updates, there is nothing I would expect to effect Outlook Express. IE6 is ok and if I change the mail client to Outlook, that is ok also. The problem only appears in OE6.

Thank you for your welcome unkamunka.
    Regards Bill R

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

On a clean, fully updated install, this is strange. It seems as if some other control/patch is interfering.

Have you tried using TAB when all this scrolling about is going on? Does that settle it down at all?

I could suggest that you delete some/all of the contents of C:Program FilesOutlook Express and then run a Repair Install. That would, however, mean reinstalling all the relevant patches - and would not be certain to work. Uninstalling and reinstalling SP2 could also be tried - although I am not sure whether that would actually do more than rolling back any relevant post-SP2 patches.
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Have tried using TAB but it makes no difference. It settleds down after a few scrolls then I can use the mouse normally. I have thought of deleting OE and running Windows Repair but for the small problem it's causing it is hardly worth taking the risk.

It will be intersting to see if anybody else comes across this problem - the next OE update which might solve it. It only scrolls for a few seconds, so will wait and see if it resolves on it's own.

Thanks again for you help.

Regards Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi unkamunka,

To advise 2 years on, that the problem of the unstable scrolling has been resolved since upgrading Internet Explorer to IE7. Not that I use OE anymore, preferring to use Thunderbird and Firefox.

Kind regards...Bill