3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Desktop Icon (Outlook 2003)

We just started upgrading from Office 2K with OL2K to new Exchange servers and Office 2003 with OL 2003 and I have noticed some of our installations do not have the desktop icon present. Manually creating the icon does not get the same options as in the OL2K where we could right click, properties and then either show profiles or add and remove such features as personal stores (PST), etc.

Is there a way to provide a desktop icon with the same functionality as in OL2K?

One reason I am inquiring is I just worked with a remote user who was transferring email from an inbox folder to her network based large PST file when something glitched and she locked up. Upon restart and remote login she could not start Outlook 2K and eventually the ticket came to me. I had her right click the desktop icon and remove the PST file link and then she could run Outlook normally while I ran scanpst on the networked PST. I got it fixed but had to copy the file locally to successfully complete the inbox repair. Upon renaming the original file and then copying her repaired pst back she was able to add the PST back by following the steps emailed to her.

I am new to OL2003 and have been looking for a way to add or remove PST files prior to the startup of OL2003 in case this type of issue arises with OL2003. Not finding the desktop icon I have been looking for a way to remove the data files prior to starting OL2003.

Any pointers and / or good references on OL2003?

Thanks,

Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Desktop Icon (Outlook 2003)

Right after posting I found: http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/20031111.htm and OL guru Diane Poremsky shared that the properties of this icon are the same as earlier versions so I will be testing come Monday.

Thanks.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough